BlitzMax on 64bit Linux?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/BlitzMax on 64bit Linux?

Otus(Posted 2009) [#1]
In this thread, dawlane included instructions for installing on 64bit Ubuntu. I followed them, but was unable to run the IDE. BMK and other cli stuff works, including a full makemods and compile+running a HelloWorld app.

Running the IDE gives a segfault. GDB reports "Cannot access memory at 0xd" in /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1. I also tried compiling it from source, but got the same result - both with 1.33rc5 and 1.32rc1.

The same with all the graphical samples that I tried.

Has anyone had any success using BlitzMax on a 64bit distro?

(Using Ubuntu 9.04 here.)

p.s. Why does MaxGUI use GL?

Edit: p.p.s. Someone might want to update the sticky installation guides thread with more recent links...

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hi Otus,

at a guess (and I mean a guess since I've never had a 64bit pc) I'd say you're missing a link to libGL or related dependency, see Linux 132 rc1 now up#10 for a possible solution.

Also check you have these packages (copied from here). I notice libxpm-dev isn't in dawlane's list.

libx11-dev
libxft-dev
libxxf86vm-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev
libglu1-mesa-dev
libfreetype6-dev
libxpm-dev
libstdc++6-4.3-dev
g++

You could also try out the ce maxide to see if it works.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
Very interesting.

I checked my GTK MaxIDE and it doesn't have any GL dependencies, so I had a look at the required libraries for the default IDE. It does indeed require GL !!

This led me to the FLTK module (since that's the only different between my build and the default), and lo-and-behold, there's an import of Pub.OpenGL in fltkimports.bmx.

Don't ask me why. Perhaps it's a typo.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#4]
p.s. Why does MaxGUI use GL?

UByte is working on this, see RFC: GUIGraphicsDriver.

Otus(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thanks for the tip! That post helped a lot.

The problem seems to have been that /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 was a link to libGL.so.185.18.14, while libGL.so pointed to libGL.so.1.2. I'm guessing I'm now running without hardware acceleration, but it's a lot better than not running at all!

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
But the point is... the IDE shouldn't require GL to function.

Otus(Posted 2009) [#7]
But the point is... the IDE shouldn't require GL to function.

That's what I thought. As far as I can tell from glancing at the source, it's only on Linux and just for the canvas element.

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#8]
I notice libxpm-dev isn't in dawlane's list.

My Bad. And libfreetypr6-dev isn't either. Will double check the instructions when I get time by re-doing a clean install of ubuntu at the weekend.

@Otus what graphics chip set are you using?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#9]
it's only on Linux and just for the canvas element.

I didn't think the IDE used an OpenGL Canvas? Interesting...

Otus(Posted 2009) [#10]
I notice libxpm-dev isn't in dawlane's list.

My Bad. And libfreetypr6-dev isn't either. Will double check the instructions when I get time by re-doing a clean install of ubuntu at the weekend.

I'm currently running fine without libxpm-dev. What do I need it for? FLTKMaxGUI seems to define its own XPM routines.

Also, I think libfreetype6-dev was installed as a dependency/recommended package by one of the others.

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#11]
I think MaxGUI may continue to have some form of lazy canvas dependency on GL.

OT: In Linux full screen mode drivers should be abstracted / soft - linked in blitzmax as the xf86vm dependency I think is an unnesecary demand given the frail and snail paced development that is the xfree ecosystem in general. In the age of LCD apps ability to change screen modes should be deprecated in general IMHO.