Game installer?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Game installer?

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#1]
Seeing this topic I began to look for any "setup" utility for Linux, that could install my game (or any program for that matter), and just create a small desktop icon/program menu entry.

I'm looking for something pretty basic: something similar to all windows installers. A program that generates a single file, which when clicked will show a series of steps to install the game (like "select game path", show a progress bar during installation, ask if the user wants a desktop icon and/or a entry in the menus, etc).

The only programs able to do that in Linux I found were more or less like this one: http://www.illwinter.com/misc/installer/index.html - which isn't half as "user friendly" as any Windows solution.

I myself got confused just by looking at the screenshot on the website, showing the installer asking for a "install path" and a "binary path" - now I can only imagine what a non-tech user would think looking at something like that!

So... any of you guys know a good one? Any hints?

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#2]
I'm pretty sure Brucey has just managed to make a .deb of his radioBah app which installs it and adds things to the menus etc....

Cheers
Charlie

markcw(Posted 2009) [#3]
Emmm, no.