Linux Nitwit Question

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux Nitwit Question

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm currently trying Fedora 10 in Virtual Box... (on MacOX X)

It works brilliantly, but it can't find my MacOS folders. But VB comes to the rescue. When I install special tools in Linux, Virtual Box can provide full access to my Mac stuff in the Linux computer it emulates.

Problem is, Linux won't allow me to install those tools. Admin account required it says. And that leads to the question. How to log in as admin or root. Any attempt to do this leads to a failed login. I got the password of the root, I inserted it myself, but I just cannot get it done. When I try this in the terminal the login is always incorrect. But then again, when I use the username of the useraccount the login is also always incorrect.

Do you have any idea how to login into Linux as a "root" or "admin" so I can get this stuff done?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
You can log in as root by using the username 'root' & its password. It should have asked you for one during the setup.
you can also elevate your own permissions in a terminal window by using:: sudo su -
after which you type your own user password and get elevated root permissions. This only works if you are a member of the sudoers group, though.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
You shouldn't log in as root unless you *really* have to - which is more or less... never.

"sudo" is the prefix you should use instead, while logged in as yourself.

So, if you have a command to type in, you can add "sudo" in front of the command, and it should run it with root-like privileges. (after providing the admin password, of course)

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#4]
Logging in by using username "root" doesn't work. It won't accept my password either way. However I can type my root password when I try to alter the system settings. That's the strange part, but the login screen just won't allow me to. Trying to do this in the terminal doesn't allow me to either.

When I try sudo i get the message that I ain't a member of the sudoers group, but when I look in the member accounts to try to add myself to it, it appears that the sudoers group doesn't even exist....

I'm at a loss

Screenshot of last situation (I gotta warn ya, this image is rather big).

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
Or you can type "su" and enter. then type in the root password.
That should get you in as root..

...unless it's set up to not allow root su's.

Sometimes, there is also an "admin terminal" which you can run from the GUI, giving the root password before it opens.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#6]
They usually are disabled on the better distros.

type:
sudo passwd root

And choose a really -good- password. The 'raw' root account has no password by default (meaning login disabled) and for good reason. This is to further enhance security (people know the name root which is 50% of a hack on a plate, but its harder to guess a username, especially one that can 'sudo' :)

then

su

to get a 'real' root shell.

I think fedora normally has a root login enabled, but have not used 10.

Otus(Posted 2009) [#7]
Edit: Didn't read it through.

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#8]
su did the trick, thanks Brucey....

I'm now it seems that I gotta install some stuff... :/

I also saw an install script it seems to execute all I need, but another problem yet again (I'm getting tired of it).

I get this error:
exec: gksu not found

Any way to fix that?

Otus(Posted 2009) [#9]
exec: gksu not found

Any way to fix that?

If you really need gksu, you can install it using the package manager, but you shouldn't need it. (It is the GUI equivalent of su for gnome.) Have you read this tutorial?

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#10]
I switched to Ubuntu in an attempt to get this done, but Ubuntu is worse. Ubuntu wouldn't even mount the CD-ROM that contains the stuff to be installed.

I shall post lateron a screenshot on the current situation. Perhaps you guys can then see a way to get this done...

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#11]
Dodgy CD, must have been, ubuntu mounts EVERYTHING! :D

...ok..ok.. only in my experience :/

odd

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#12]
ubuntu mounts EVERYTHING! :D

That's my experience too -- including NTFS volumes on 3rd party hardware RAID adapters. :-?

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#13]
Well, apparantly Ubuntu doesn't mount this.
Can't be the CD. It's the same one Fedora, Windows XP and Windows Vista accept. Perhaps Ubuntu hates emulators???

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#14]
Maybe it's a Virtual Box / Ubuntu problem ?

I had Ubuntu running fine in VMWare. (Haven't actually tried it in Parallels though - which I use for XP).

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#15]
Maybe I should try VMWare...
But if i can get it installed in Fedora, my problem is basically solved.
I'll try to get a screenshot on later today, but my provider is down (I'm currenly typing this in my office) so I hope I can get it uploaded.

plash(Posted 2009) [#16]
I've never actually tried virtual boxing any form of Linux (or anything, for that matter), but Ubuntu really does mount everything.

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#17]
I guess Ubuntu mounts everything on a REAL PC. But it's pretty much proven to me that Ubuntu mounts nothing on a virtual PC, at least, not in Virtual Box.

As soon as my internet is up again (I'm now typing from my fiancee's PC) I'll will look into VMWare and see if I can get it to work there.

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#18]
Alrighty.... here's the screenshot of how I get things now....

Can you make out anything of it? (I gotta warn you, this shot is big).