BlitzMax 1.32 and Ubuntu 8.10

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/BlitzMax 1.32 and Ubuntu 8.10

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm trying to get Blitzmax and Ubuntu to play along, but being a complete Linux newbie, I'm hitting some walls.

I got to the point where I can rebuild the modules from IDE, but when trying to run the breakout sample, I get this error:

Building breakout
Compiling:breakout.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.67.36  (32768 kilobytes memory)
4 passes, 33868 bytes.
Linking:breakout.debug
Executing:breakout.debug
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
  Serial number of failed request:  10
  Current serial number in output stream:  10

Process complete

Bmax is installed on /home. Can anyone share some light?

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#2]
Check and make sure that you have 3D Accelarated drivers enabled. Top MENU System->Administration->Hardware Drivers. And tha you have all the necessary packages installed.

EDIT a bit more information about your system would be helpful ;)

markcw(Posted 2009) [#3]
Could also be a video driver problem, depends on your card.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#4]
Video is ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 - and the driver is problematic, and I cant get around to solve it.
I tried "Hardware Drivers", but after installation I got that problem (before, with software driver, it ran the sample, but at 1fps or less :P)

I also tried downloading the driver directly from ATI, and it still doesnt work.

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# fglrxinfo
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
  Serial number of failed request:  10
  Current serial number in output stream:  10

The driver recognized the video correctly:
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# aticonfig --list-adapters
* 0. 01:00.0 ATI Mobility Radeon X1300

* - Default adapter

Already tried aticonfig --initial --force, to no avail.

Even ATI control center doesn't show up. I don't know what to do anymore :(
It's depressing to see that even with 20+ years with computer experience, I cant even get a #$%@ video driver to work :((

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#5]
The first rule of using ati cards with linux is to upgrade to nvidia.

The second rule is to follow with a clean install.

EDIT a bit more information about your system would be helpful ;)

the eye-candy you have disabling your desktop experience for instance.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#6]

The first rule of using ati cards with linux is to upgrade to nvidia.

Not possible on a laptop...

The second rule is to follow with a clean install.

Already tried it... 5 times. I've been trying to get it to work since 7.am, now it's almost 6pm here; I think I tried almos every tutorial on the net, and still, no hardware accelerated driver :(

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#7]
Do the GL screensavers work?

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#8]
hmmm now THAT is strange:

I removed the ATI driver, and left the generic one. The included samples are running at acceptable speed - on windowed mode. On fullscreen they're all at 0 FPS

Then I try my game. It starts at 0 FPS (really, I can hardly move the mouse pointer) - but if I switch from windowed mode to full screen, or vice-versa, the fps goes to 70-80, even on fullscreen!

And even more strange: it only happens *after* I load my graphics. If I dont load anything and set my program to jump from fullscreen to window and back, it stays with 0 fps... (and no, on windows there is not such problem with the GL driver)

Do the GL screensavers work?

Yeah, they do... at least with the generic driver.

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#9]
Type this
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
then this
glxinfo | grep render

into a command console and list the results

I have a feeling that your Radeon X1300 is only support with the Messa DRI drivers (supports very little or no 3D hardware acceleration) and that the restricted driver doesn't support your card.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#10]
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.2
OpenGL extensions:

and

glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL

But that's the "generic driver" - the only one I get to run BMax programs. With ATI's driver, absolutely nothing works...! (The same error from the first post appears with ATI's driver)

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#11]
Have you looked here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1074229&highlight=radeon+x1300 and here http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Intrepid_Installation_Guide

markcw(Posted 2009) [#12]
Your radeon x1300 is listed on the DRI wiki so I think you need libgl1-mesa-dri and libgl1-mesa-glx. Do you have either of these installed?

Edit: if you're wondering what DRI is then see here.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#13]
Almost there...!
I managed to install the ATI drivers correctly after several retries, and now everything is almost working... (I already can run BlitzMax normally)

The only problem is if I reboot, on initialization the screen only shows garbage and keeps blinking :/

If I force to boot into "safe graphics mode", it goes to console mode (also blinking? I goes away if I press ctrl+alt+F1) - then I need to "sudo aticonfig --initial -f" and startx. After that, everything works.

If I just use "startx" then it error out saying it couldn't find any video (no usable resolution)... very strange.

But at least, I got it working to some point :P

EDIT: Got it, now it's booting normally :D
Thanks everyone for your help!!

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#14]
I've read some where that Ubuntu redetects the graphics hardware every time it boots up. It may be worth reading about the xorg.conf file found in etc/X11. You could do fine tuning of the X server there at one time but I'm not sure is this file get over written or if this file over-rides the auto detection.