Blide, Blitzmax, win32 compiling on Ubuntu 8.10

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Blide, Blitzmax, win32 compiling on Ubuntu 8.10

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi All,

I'm happily coding away in blide now in Ubuntu, since a powercut knocked my Windows installation into a recursive reboot loop.

This was incredibly easy to get working, but just in case anyone else needs it, I thought I'd make a post. note: this does not allow you to use Blide to make Linux apps. It allows you to compile the Windows binaries from within Linux.

Step 1) Make sure you have installed Wine, and BlitzMax into Wine.

step 2) Type this into a terminal. Do not SUDO or SU it (I found this out the hard way- it actually causes it to fail, and fixing it is a bit of a pain.)

wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
sh winetricks corefonts
sh winetricks fakeie6
sh winetricks dotnet20

and for those who want DirectX access

sh winetricks directx9

For those who may still have a problem getting Blide to install at this point, if you can, try copy and pasting an installation from windows into Wine's "Program Files" folder and running blide.exe from there.

Note: I haven't tried using MinGW or module compiling yet, but since Wine gives you what you need, I can't see a problem doing so.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#2]
I'm impressed... Does wine allow exes to launch regular linux binaries? We could try to make BLIde point to the linux compiler also... and see what happens...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#3]
I'm not sure thats a possibility- I'm sure this has been asked a quadrillion times however- could you not use .Mono for Blide? or are there too many unsupported things going on? :-)

I'll have a further fiddle when I get a chance.

plash(Posted 2009) [#4]
I've done some stuff with BLIde and Ubuntu 8.04.. Not really usable though. And I was actually going to also write a plugin to compile Linux code.

Do you get the same glitches/bugs as I?

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6097/blidelinuxtabsizevv8.png

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#5]
i get a couple of glitches but I find it quite usable once everything is loaded. A couple of bits of the interface malfunction a tad, but other than that, no, i've had no problem working with it.

Note that wine doesn't handle paths nicely at times, so you're better off manually opening your file from blide rather than setting up blide files to open with Wine. If I double click a blide/bmx file to open them in blide, then they will not compile. (I notice you have a wierd path issue too, which is why I mention this.)

plash(Posted 2009) [#6]
@ziggy: I think wine does allow executables to do that.. I might try soon.