Ubuntu EEE is great :D

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Ubuntu EEE is great :D

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just thought id reccommend anyone with an Asus aspire or eee check out ubuntu eee. Its got a really nice interface and everything works (cam,sound,hw-gfx) out of the box (or seems to on my aspire one i asume it does on the eee too as its designed for it :)

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#2]
I just wish I got mine to work on my HP... I've since gone back to Vista.

I'm considering dual booting so I can use linux MOST of the time...

But I'm glad its working out for you :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#3]
I would have thought normal ubuntu would work better on an HP (all th hps ive tried have had 0 probs) as its got the full hardware support set. The eee version is specially slimline designed for those two netbooks (asus and acer).

ragtag(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'm writing this on the normal version of Ubuntu 8.10 on an HP TC4400 tablet pc. More or less everything worked out of the box, including the graphics card, OpenGL, the touchpad and the mouse knob thing. Only thing I had to twiddle a little with, was getting the tablet functionality to work and rotating the screen and tablet together. :)

I dual booted it with the existing Windows version on the machine, and was surprised to find how easy this had become since last installing Ubuntu. I could just drag a slider to define how much of the drive I wanted for Ubuntu, and how much for Windows. It then resized the partitions for me and installed.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2009) [#5]
Ubuntu Eee works a treat on my weepc.

Incidentally, There is also a version of Ubuntu specifically designed for the Aspire. 'AspireOne' it's called if I remember right.

nawi(Posted 2009) [#6]
I have a HP laptop, I thought HP has a pretty good linux support (if the manufacturer even matters wrt hardware support).

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#7]
FWIW, I have had trouble with Ubuntu and a HP desktop for a couple of years now. Mandriva installs and works with no problem.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to get BM to work on any version of Linux.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2009) [#8]
For the Eeepc fans: Asus announced it's latest baby; the Eee PC t91 tablet pc.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/06/eee-pc-t91-convertible-tablet-lives/16437633

It's been expected for months, now Asus has announced its Eee PC T91 convertible tablet ripe for a fresh Windows 7 tossing. The 2-pound (right, two!), 1-inch thick tablet features an 8.9-inch LED backlit touch panel riding atop Intel's Z520 Atom processor. It also features a TV-tuner and built-in GPS. No other details yet but it won't be long.

Update: Added video after the break of this svelte convertible floating in air with its incredibly dreamy UI. It's destined to make all your touchable dreams come true. No, really.

See the site for a presentation video.

I'l take 5!

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#9]
In the video it says its XP home, but that OS looked more like a flavor of compiz-fusion to me :/

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#10]
Is the Eee Box series out yet? I think I may want one...

RocketGnome(Posted 2009) [#11]
I have a small question...

What version of Java ships with that? (If at all) Which version of OpenGL? I've been thinking about targeting the EEE as a potential platform. (Since it's basically the equivalent of targetting a low-end PC)

Thanks!

*(Posted 2009) [#12]
Finally got a Asus EeePC 702Sd 8Gb, got eeebuntu on it now :P

my first post from me eeepc