Official BRL notes on Ubuntu 8.10 for BlitzMax

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Official BRL notes on Ubuntu 8.10 for BlitzMax

Queller(Posted 2008) [#1]
In my search to find details about an Ubuntu install, I found there are a lot of scattered notes about what is required for Ubuntu installations in the forums, but the latest version officially talked about in the Linux BlitzMax Installation Guide is 5.10, and such important information needs to be updated and gathered to one spot in the forums.

Can someone from BRL post an updated version of an install how-to, including exactly what packages are required to get BlitzMax running properly on Ubuntu 8.10, including notes about gcc4.x fixes etc? I say exactly, because for example; looking in the Synaptic manager I saw different versions of gcc packages (gcc, gcc multilib etc) and I was wondering if any ambiguity can be avoided by listing the exact right package required.

After using Ubuntu I decided to focus more on Linux app development because, well... damn... it is just awesome, but I need to get it going first!

plash(Posted 2008) [#2]
There is really no difference in the installation of any different version of Ubuntu (unless it is 64-bit). I used the same package list for 5.10 on 8.04, and would suspect no more need for 8.10.

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#3]
define awesome

until next official release blitzmax will continue to be locked to a gcc3.3 build chain, installing this on your linux computer is something you should accept, with humility, and hopefully without anyone asking if you have anything better to do. gcc3.3 also allows you to build extremely comapatible binaries which will work even if somebody devises a method to send files back through time where 90% of real linux users are caught in stasis...

but seriously, if you are going to dive into linux, please don't start with a complaint about the state of support, just learn to swim...

plash(Posted 2008) [#4]
but seriously, if you are going to dive into linux, please don't start with a complaint about the state of support, just learn to swim...
Indeed, that is the name-of-the-game (so to speak) in Linux.

Even if you have perplexing questions, don't expect a bunch of people to jump on it, as it seems there are very few Linux guru's around here.

Queller(Posted 2008) [#5]
skid, this wasnt supposed to be a complaint. The comment was not intended as such and if it was taken that way then I apologize. I was just concerned about screwing things up and looking for notes about 8.10 in particular, and thought gathering that information together for the latest Ubuntu release would be helpful to other people new to Linux. Your reply and Plash's comment about the same package lists was all I needed to be reassured of what I was doing. Thanks to you both - I appreciate it.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#6]
Welcome to Linux Queller. :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#7]
define awesome
Linux.
</dictionary>

I'll stop posting here now..

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#8]
hopefully without anyone asking if you have anything better to do

That's not likely.. around these parts especially :-)

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2008) [#9]
Here is a quick rundown of the steps you need to follow to get it working with gcc/g++ 4.3.2 (The one that comes standard with ubuntu 8.10):

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=82292