Ubuntu 8.10 killed my GLX!

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Ubuntu 8.10 killed my GLX!

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#1]
I upgraded to ubuntu 8.10 today, and on running blitzmax I've discovered I haven't got glx any more! I've found a thread on the ubuntu forums that says it might have been caused by nvidia drivers accidentally being installed, but I've removed everything nvidia-related and no dice.

So, if anyone using integrated intel graphics is thinking of updating to 8.10, I suggest waiting for a bit until it's sorted.

plash(Posted 2008) [#2]
The new release completely passed by me. Is there anything reallly worth upgrading for?

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#3]
Got the 64bit version installed so far so good on the ATI video and sound front.
Getting BlitzMax to work was a bit of a hassle as...

1) I had to setup a 32bit chroot environment for intrepid.Here I could have just used the hardy repositories but where's the fun in that ;)

2) Having set up the chroot environment I find that there is no longer any gcc-3.3/g++-3.3 packages (there is a gcc-3.4 but no g++). I solved this by downloading the required packages from the ubuntu hardy archives, moving them to the chroot's root folder and using the dpkg tool in the chroot command terminal to install them. So far no problems yet.

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#4]
It seems that ease of use & configuration is not the only thing that Ubuntu has taken from Windows. Some time ago I also experienced problems with Ubuntu and switched to PCLinuxOS. I don't regret having done that.

PCLinuxOS is lightweight and way faster than Ubuntu, and instead of publishing a new version every 6 months, you grab the 2007 and get it up-to-date by updating the packages.

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#5]
Finally solved this today. Apparently there's a new driver for intel graphics, and it installs a libglx.so in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so, but the 8.10 upgrade didn't remove the old libglx.so in the parent directory.
So, I did:
cd /usr/lib/xorg/modules
rm libglx.so
ln -s extensions/libglx.so libglx.so

and logged out and in again, and everything worked just fine!

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#6]
hmm this might help me with my problems ill check it out later