Digesteroids

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Digesteroids

markcw(Posted 2008) [#1]
Anyone know what's going on here?
When I run digesteroids.bmx no window appears but the menu sound plays.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
I'm guessing the game tried to get a lock on the screen, and didn't.

Does it run in windowed mode?

Is your Linux running one of those new GL-based window managers?

Could be issues with your gfx card driver, a bad X configuration, and many more...

Cole(Posted 2008) [#3]
Hey Mark

Sounds like we have opposite troubles, hehe. I can run digesteroids fine, but still no sound :)

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#4]
I go with Brucey on this one. Came across something like this last year. Silly me forgot to write down the how I solved it, but I remember it happened when the application went into full screen mode and had something to do with the screen number in the device/serverlayout sections. So I would start by looking at your xorg.conf in /etc/X11 and do a bit of googling.
With xorg 7.x your hardware is re-detected every time you boot/re-boot the machine. It sometimes gets it wrong so you have to modify the xorg.conf file (this gets re-written if the x server is updated I do believe)

markcw(Posted 2008) [#5]
Well, digesteroids.bmx works fine in my new Mandriva partition, so since I remember I installed Envy on manual (bad idea) because it didn't recognize my videocard and then had to restore my X system settings that must be the problem, will have a look in xorg.conf. Thanks for the help.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#6]
This is what's in my xorg.conf file.

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#7]
What Graphics card is installed?
See if you have accelerated drivers enabled.
In a command terminal type
glxinfo | grep render

markcw(Posted 2008) [#8]
I don't think I have accelerated drivers. Maybe I'll just reinstall ubuntu, or something else.
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Radeon 20061018 AGP 4x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE NO-TCL

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#9]
For Ubuntu:In the menu at the top Click System->Administration->Hardware and see if it says your hardware is detected and that Hardware Acceleration is Enabled.
Looks like acceleration is enabled "direct rendering: Yes" but its using the open source Mesa DRI driver which could mean that you card is an old one (7000 series?).
Do a bit of googleing on the latest fglrx driver and see if you graphics card is supported.

If it is, enabling it in the Hardware menu should change your xorg.conf to over ride the default driver and use the restricted driver (ATI/AMD's).

This bit in xorg.conf should change
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

to
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
       Driver          "fglrx"
EndSection

and a new section called Module (You could try and add this to your current xorg.conf file and see what happens)
Section "Module"
	Load       "glx"
EndSection

If your card is an old one not supported by fglrx then you may have to digg around in the ubuntu forums for a solution or upgrade your graphics card.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#10]
In System>Administration>Hardware Drivers it just says "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system". It always said that. My card is Radeon VE/7000/rv100 and is supported by DRI (see here) and I have the relevant package xserver-xorg-video-ati installed.

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#11]
Ati can get stupidly picky between 24 and 32 bit modes, i added a fix to gridwars that I think ended up testing for both.

Although looking at your config, your xorg server doesn't actually support ANY display settings for it's screen, and then there is your monitor:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=441765

markcw(Posted 2008) [#12]
Well I edited my xorg.conf to this. Which didn't make any difference.

I've just noticed I'm having similar problems in Mandriva which is just installed. I can't run anything bigger than my current screen res. Also, I seem to get the same X Error message when I switch screen res and then run something in fullscreen, like firepaint.bmx which is 640x480.

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#13]
you're being a little minimal there markcw, why did you edit the .conf manually when it explicitly tells you not to, did you do it as sudo then restart x? what exactly is your problem with ubuntu? what monitor do you actually have plugged into your linux machine? why would you run the desktop at anything but it's highest res?

what happens when you do this?

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

markcw(Posted 2008) [#14]
Ok, I'm pretty sure that xorg.conf was different before I installed Envy on manual (which I was warned about), then I had to boot into recovery and restore X system settings as I was stuck in 640x480-only after I uninstalled Envy. This resulted in the default stuff in xorg.conf. I actually just tried "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" and it just went back to the default stuff. I used this guide to edit xorg.conf plus some things in my Mandriva xorg.conf and also ran xdpyinfo from this guide to add DisplaySize. None of which made any difference. I'm not using the xorg-driver-fglrx package as my ATI card isn't supported there, so I'm using xserver-xorg-video-ati. Where does it say not to edit xorg.conf? I used "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and then rebooted. My monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 753s which has support up to 1280x1024 and 32-bit but it's 17" so I prefer 800x600 mode.

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#15]
as a rule I kind of agree that games shouldn't be able to up-res the display although it would be nice if biltzmax wasn't forcing glx to do what it doesn't want to do. maybe it isn't,

what output do you get when you run the graphicsmodes example?

IMHO the only thing less advisable for blitzmax linux use than not embracing ubuntu is not using nvidia

in free-speak: if you have money for 6 beers you probably have enough for an nvidia upgrade

markcw(Posted 2008) [#16]
I should have tried graphicsmodes.bmx. Strange that I only get 24-bit. In 1024x768 I get.
Available graphics modes:

Edit: In 800x600 res after a reboot I get.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#17]
Does it work okay if you use one of those?

markcw(Posted 2008) [#18]
No, I still get the same X Error message if I run anything above my current screen res.

Edit: I get the same error if I run setgraphicsdriver.bmx in fullscreen mode but windowed mode always works ie. if depth=0 but that's because it's clipped to the current screen res. I suppose I'll get a nvidia card then.