Gentoo Linux - Can't build

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Gentoo Linux - Can't build

Cole(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi everyone

I'm a new BlitzMax user, and to some degree a new linux user. I've been running Sabayon (based on gentoo, so most things should be the same) for a few months.

I've read the install instructions for other distros and tried what they suggested. I linked the gcc and g++ files as specified ( I have 4.2.3 installed). I couldn't install any packages mentioned, though because Portage didn't recognize them.

When I try to build a file, it gives me this:

sh: g++-3.3: command not found
Build Error: Failed to link (whatever file it needs, depends on what I'm trying to build)

Can anyone help?

Cole(Posted 2008) [#2]
Problem solved

If anyone else is having trouble with gcc-4.2.3, my trouble seemed to dissapear after upgrading to 4.3.1.

It took about 3 hours to compile, but afterward, I re-linked to 3.3 and things are working :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#3]
Whats sabayon like?

I tried gentoo and soon binned it as it was an unfriendly and alien compile nightmare, the realm of the supernerds (unfortunately i am only a second rate nerd).
If its a friendly gentoo then i might be more iterested.

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#4]
I've never been able to get gentoo to install on any of my machines.

danvari(Posted 2008) [#5]
hey cole, i am using gentoo and blitzmax runs perfect under x86 and amd64. you cannot use gcc 4* (gcc-4.2* ?) with blitzmax, so you have to emerge gcc-3.3.6-r1. have a look into portage and there you will find it (assume that you are using amd64). it is masked of course. you have to unmask it. once it is installed, you have to symlink gcc-3.3.6 to gcc-3.3 and g++-3.3.6 to g++-3.3.
are you using amd64? then you will need the emul-x86* stuff. i think at first you will need "compat" for running blitzmax.

Cole(Posted 2008) [#6]
D4NM4N -

Yeah, Sabayon is a friendly version of gentoo. It comes with a lot of binaries installed, but has full access to the portage system too. It also has access to it's own package library of pre-compiled portage packages. Comes with the option of Gnome, KDE or XFCE and some others too. It's a live dvd so you can try before you install. Pretty much the best of all worlds. I'm glad I got blitzmax working on it. Probably the first time I've had any real trouble.

Danvari-

I'm not sure how new gcc-4.3.1 is, but it seems to work fine with blitz so far. I just linked it to 3.3 after emerging.

I'm running on a x86 processor still, so I haven't had to deal with 32 bit emulation so far.