IDE does not start

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/IDE does not start

Kurator(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

I am using Fedora Core 9 in a virtual machine (VirtualBox 1.6.4).

Problem: I can't start the IDE - there comes only a small MessageBox: "Unable to determine BlitzMax Version. Please reinstall BlitzMax to repair this Problem."

A search on this topic brought no solution for me...

Do anyone of you has a small tip for me?

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#2]
Please download and install the latest IDE build *from here (click)*, and make sure you place it in your root BlitzMax folder. Your BlitzMax folder structure should look something like (I've pointed out the files that you should pay particular attention to, judging by the error message you gave):

Note: Most Linux installations have case-sensitive file names.

- BlitzMax
  | MaxIDE                           <-- MaxIDE should be here
  | ReleaseNotes.doc
  | Versions.doc
  - bin
    | ar
    | bcc                            <-- bcc should be in a sub-folder named 'bin'
    | bmk                            <-- as should bmk
    | docmods
    | FASM
    | ld
    | makedocs
  + cfg
  + doc
  + docs
  + mod
  + lib
  + src
If it doesn't, I suggest you remove the folder, redownload BlitzMax v1.30 Linux from the Product Updates page (the file should download as v130b), and extract the entire .tar.gz archive onto your Desktop. Then try again...

Kurator(Posted 2008) [#3]
Hi,

thank you for your answer:

I downloaded it today, so I already installed the v130b version. Also the IDE in the other thread showed the same error.

I tried to extend my $path, but this also did not help :(

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#4]
If you're definitely sure that the folder structure is correct (inc. case-sensitive names), and that no files are missing, you'll have to check that bcc is working yourself.

Open up the terminal, and 'cd' into your BlitzMax\bin folder. The easiest way I do this is by typing 'cd ', and drag the folder icon onto the console window. The path should be copied into the window. Next hit enter, and type "./bcc" (without the quotes).

Can you post the output in the terminal window when you run the last command?

Then can you type "cd ../" and hit Enter to move up to the parent directory, and then "./MaxIDE". Do you get the same error?

Edit: Also, I know at present it doesn't work with either IDE, but stick with the latest one from the link I posted as it fixes a few other problems you may experience later on.

Kurator(Posted 2008) [#5]
[harald@localhost bin]$ ./bcc
./bcc: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

hm, thats interesting - in my packetmangager i can only choose 'libstc++ - 4.1.2-33.i386' and 'libstc++-devel - 4.1.2-33.i386' and both packages are installed

When I start the MaxIDE from consloe there appears a msg box (like BMax Command: Notify) -

"Unable to determine BlitzMax version. Please reinstall BlitzMax to repair this problem"

After clickin "Close" it returns to the console.

After looking in the IDE Source I found that it is called by: Type TCodePlay - Method CheckVerison$() - Method Initalize()

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#6]
The real problem here is the missing libraries. MaxIDE interrogates bcc to check for the version information, and if bcc can't run, the version number can't be checked, hence the error message.

Did you follow the instructions *here* for installing BlitzMax on Fedora 9?

Kurator(Posted 2008) [#7]
Yes, both libraries were already installed, and also i set up the both links.

I'll try it on my VM ubuntu on my notebook

Kurator(Posted 2008) [#8]
I finally found the missing libs and added them to the Fedora Instructions thread.

Many thanks for your help! :)

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#9]
No probs! Glad you managed to sort it out in the end. ;-)

Just to let you know that I've uploaded a new FLTK MaxIDE build, to the same page as before, with a few more fixes. See the thread for more details.

doswelk(Posted 2009) [#10]
I am getting the same error message (when trying to start5 IDE)

My BCC error message is:

./bcc: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./bcc)

I am a total newbie when it comes to linux version 1.28 (with that awful IDE works but not 1.3x)

I am running Linpus Lite (Fedora 8 I think it is)

I have no problems running on Xbuntu on another laptop but that does not have an openGL graphics card!

Any help would be appreciated

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#11]
It looks like you need a newer glibc to run it.

doswelk(Posted 2009) [#12]
sudo yum install glibc
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Package glibc - 2.7-2.i386 is already installed.

Any idea where I can get a newer one?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#13]
This will give you an idea of the versions your glibc++ supports :
strings /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBC

Mine has this :
GLIBCXX_3.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.1
GLIBCXX_3.4.2
GLIBCXX_3.4.3
GLIBCXX_3.4.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.5
GLIBCXX_3.4.6