Blitz Max and Xubuntu

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Blitz Max and Xubuntu

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hey, this is my first linux system and its not running the linux version of blitzmax... any ideas whats wrong?

I've downloaded bmax 1.18 and put it in a folder in /home and it won't execute... I've tried shortcuts ect... they don' t execute either.. The updater won't fire either.

This is the newest version of Xubuntu, freshly installed.

Any ideas?

Ked(Posted 2008) [#2]
This is what happened to me with Ubuntu. I couldn't find any answers (on these forums or on the internet), so I just gave up and went back to Windows XP.

EDIT: Nevermind. I remember now that I did get BlitzMax working but I kept getting an error on anything I'd compile. Then I gave up. :)

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#3]
thats not encouraging :)

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#4]
I compiled my game on Ubuntu. It was a while ago though, so I can't help you with any specifics. There is a tutorial on the forums somewhere.

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
Perhaps post in the Linux Discussion section? (some people don't read General)

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#6]
Another not so useful post, but I did manage to get it working on ubuntu (VM) after going through some of the guides in the linux section, so I can also verify it does work. I can't remember enough of it to run you through it though, sorry.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#7]
I use Ubuntu quite happily, as do several others - but not xubuntu.

Have you tried anything from the following sticky post?

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=59889

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#8]
I wouldnt reccomend XUbuntu as a first system (unless you have to of course). It is not as 'friendly' as ubuntu and has 'things' missing that are included in Ubunutu in order to minimize it. Of course these can be installed manually.

Have you tried:

- Right click on MaxIDE in the file manager(nautilus) and make sure "allow execute" is checked in permissions. When files come in from the net this is usually unchecked for safety.

- running the MaxIDE program from the terminal using:
cd BlizMax [note, you can press tab to complete filenames like in Windows CL]
./MaxIDE
This should tell you if there are deps missing and what you need.

- To be able to compile do:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
then install the other packages described in the installation instructions.
I highly recommend installing the "synaptic" package manager, it is a gui front end for apt-get which is not in Xubuntu if i remember right. It will certainly speed things up.

It seems a real pain when you are new to Linux but once you understand what it all does, you will realise its not so complicated and in some ways is actually better.
Libs are shared by programs so its a little bit similar to installing things like 3rd party dlls, directX and codecs to run software on windows.
Many programs sort their own dependencies out themselves when installing from "deb" packages on debians like ubuntu (or "rpm" on redhat etc..),
These self installing packages are a little similar to a windows installer.

Unfortunately BM is not one of these 'packaged' programs so you have to install all the dependencies manually.

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#9]
See my instructions for installing on Ubuntu - it also covers Kubuntu and Xubunu.

I find that Xubuntu isn't quite as friendly as Ubuntu, but only because some things are missing in the File Manager (mostly networking stuff).

Winni(Posted 2008) [#10]

thats not encouraging :)

Of course not. It's GNU/Linux - where men are still men and little furry beats from Alpha Centauri are still little furry beasts from Alpha Centauri (or whatever the Douglas Adams wrote).

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#11]
this did it... thanks guys!

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63798

more questions:

-Why does the mouse flicker on a hello world program?

-Can I build modules? Or do I need the MinGW thing?

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#12]
BlitzMax was not running because you didn't have libstdc++5 installed. Ubuntu comes with libstdc++6 by default.

If you ever find that something does not run on Linux, the best way to wonder out why is to run it from a terminal, so you can read output messages there.