Linux - Really confused

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux - Really confused

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2008) [#1]
I was following the Ubuntu installation guide, but my package manager can't find ANY of the required things and the NVidia drivers are convinced I'm running a 64bit version of Linux despite being on an entirely 32 bit computer

what am I doing wrong?

Edit: Almost forgot, I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu and I'm using the "install within windows" thingy

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#2]
Ubuntu 8.04?

Open the Synaptic Package Manager (under Administration in the System Menu at the top of the screen), and hit the "Reload" button. Then close Synaptic Package Manager and try again with the following guide:

Instructions for installing BlitzMax on Ubuntu 8.x

If you're still having no luck, can you tell us what is checked in the first tab when you go to System->Administration->Software Sources?

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks, that guide made a LOT more sense than any of the others

why isn't it in the sticky?

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2008) [#4]
Ok, I'm clearly still doing something wrong, I get an error when I try to rebuild or build modules

theres a popup window thing with:

Compile Error
27, from /home/mordax/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:5, from /home/mordax/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz.h:5, from /home/mordax/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c:2:

and the output window contains the following:

Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_app.c
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:354,
from /usr/include/ctype.h:27,
from /home/mordax/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.h:5,
from /home/mordax/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz.h:5,
from /home/mordax/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c:2:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or directory
Build Error: failed to compile /home/mordax/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#5]
It does sound as though you are using a 64-bit version of Ubuntu. What processor is your computer ?

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2008) [#6]
Ok, I looked up my processor and it is indeed 64 bit, I had assumed otherwise since the computer came with a 32 bit install of Vista

Right, I'll search the forum for the 64 bit method

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#7]
Its complicated, and not something I would attempt.

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#8]
The install within windows always downloads the 64bit version of ubuntu if your processor is 64bit capable.
You now have two choices follow this thread http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=77778 and use the 64bit version of ubuntu

or

download the ubuntu 32bit iso, uninstall the ubuntu 64bit version ( it will ask if you would like to backup the ubuntu install ISO just say yes). Find the ubuntu backup folder, remove the 64bit ISO that is there and replace it with the 32bit version, then re-run the ubuntu windows installer.

And don't worry Linux confuses the hell out of any body the first time round (as well as the second,third,fourth,fifth,and on and on and on).

If you need to fine out which version of ubuntu is installed the open a command terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and type
uname -a

if any where it says x86_64 or AMD64 then its a 64bit OS. If it says i386/i686 then its 32bit. If it say SMP in the response it means that you have a dual core/multi-processor installed.