Combine Linux and WinXP BlitzMax Installations

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Combine Linux and WinXP BlitzMax Installations

plash(Posted 2008) [#1]
(Written for V1.30)

Copy the contents of '/bin/', and MaxIDE, from 'BlitzMax130.tar.gz' to your windows installation path (mine is '/media/disk/Program Files/BlitzMax').

Build Modules (they should only currently be compiled for windows), and it should all be dandy!

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#2]
Is this for using WINE ?

plash(Posted 2008) [#3]
Nope.

EDIT: Thought this was my chmod post, woops. :)

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#4]
There is one problem: Program Files has a space with in it and can make using it on a linux machine complicated.

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
There is one problem: Program Files has a space with in it and can make using it on a linux machine complicated.
Yeah, I'm starting to think that could be the problem here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=79116

But I was able to build ALOT of mods before those, I just hit one that was win32 only and didn't do checking for Linux, so I had to rename it so it wouldn't get checked.

plash(Posted 2008) [#6]
Not fixed yet, moved it to '/media/disk/blitzmax'. Same errors

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#7]
try transferring BlitzMax to your home folder and rebuilding. The problem I have is two fold.

1) I've had the house re-wired and the place is in total chaos of the next few weeks.
2) All my dual boot machines have NTFS partitions.

plash(Posted 2008) [#8]
Thats the problem, windows can't access Linux's filesystem. The whole point was to have Linux and XP working in the same directory, which can't happen if its on a Linux partition.

plash(Posted 2008) [#9]
Now whenever I try to compile anything (BLIde or MaxIDE) it immediately crashes (under windows xp):
Building guitest
Compiling:guitest.bmx
Build Error: failed to compile C:/cstruct/code/lang/bmax/projects/fryDesigner/designer/wx/fb/guitest.bmx
Process complete

WendellM(Posted 2008) [#10]
windows can't access Linux's filesystem.

http://www.fs-driver.org might be of use here.
Back when I had Ubuntu and Windows on the same PC, it allowed easy access to the Linux partition (mapped to a drive letter, such as "L:")

plash(Posted 2008) [#11]
OK, figured it out (reallllly strange). If I remove the Linux binaries from 'bin' code now compiles... About to test some things on Linux.

P.S. is it possible to just symlink the modules folder from Linux to windows? (the whole point is to not have to copies of my {huuuuge} modules folder)

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#12]
You should be able to make a link (symbolic or hard) to a module folder on a windows partition.

have a look here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=653897

I would have tried experimenting my self, but for the reason above in the earlier post I am unable to (not the NTFS bit).

I'm having to use the mac to post stuff.

plash(Posted 2008) [#13]
Keeping everything separate seemed to help nothing (except on the windows end of things).
I did a ' ln -s "/media/disk/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod" "/home/tim/blitzmax" ' to make the link (seems ok, if I open '/home/tim/blitzmax/mod', in the file browser, it goes to '/media/disk/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod'), building modules still shows these errors.