Best version of linux to use within VMware

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Best version of linux to use within VMware

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#1]
I've tried Fedora, does anyone recommend another version of linux for use within VMware or otherwise ?

Cheers, BP.

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#2]
The easiest is Ubuntu, although all versions suffer a degraded graphical performance even with VMTools installed (if you can get it installed without having to install the complete set of linux code), so its always best to keep a real Linux machine around.

However using virtulisation does let you test things quickly and easily.

The worst so far as been OpenBSD - its nice to look at, but updating is buggy and error-prone.

And its no point trying Solaris - whilst Linux can be installed in it, its fiddly and you've got even more fiddling to do to get X11 up and running - so avoid!

Overall, I've tried :

CentOS
Mandriva 2008
Fedora 9
Ubuntu (two forms of it)
OpenSUSE
Xandros (if I remember correctly - the demo has expired now)

I failed with :

DSL- wouldn't install to hard drive
OpenBSD - sysinstall hung during updating process
OpenSolaris - Too fiddly and X11 requires more fiddling
MEPIS - Failed with kernel panic - not syncing (apparently doesn't like SCSI drives).

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#3]
thanks TAToad.....

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#4]
I have about a year and a half experience with Gentoo. My advice: Stay away from it. It's compile hell.

I'm currently using Ubuntu 8.04 without any problems. Before that Ubuntu 7.10 and at work we have our webservers running Ubuntu 7.04. Also without any problems. Though not in a VMWare environment. I believe there's also the option to install Ubuntu 8.04 in a file on your Windows partition (you can just delete the image when you don't need it anymore). This way you can boot to Ubuntu 8.04 without it affecting your current installation. It's just a big file on your C:\ partition.

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yes, its quite handy that.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#6]
thanks for the tips, I got the latest update of BMax in my fedora and it works... ish. I think I need to partition of a bit of a hard drive, get rid ofr the VMWare hassles and opt for a Linux thing.....

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#7]
It would be the best way to get everything running at its best - there is quite a hit running it in VMWare.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#8]
@htbaa yep, ill second that ;)