PS 3 Linux ?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/PS 3 Linux ?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#1]
I have install yellow dog linux on my ps 3.

I type ydltext then I got

Login but I dont what my login is

am I suppose write down my login and paper on when install the yellow dog linux as I didnt see any Login(such as user name) but i do know the passwords for it.
It seem to me that I think I might miss the login by pressing return I think.

I have start all over again...

sigh!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#2]
I type installtext and it say

Kboot:g ...

what is telling me?

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#3]
Try root.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#4]
it say localhost login

I havnt got clue about that one....how do I find my own login

does anyone know....please?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#5]
I have type

localhost login: root

password:

i have done that and

it say

[root@localhost`]#

what am I suppose do next?

matty47(Posted 2008) [#6]
Don't know about the Yellow Dog linux but you are at the command prompt. Sort of like the dos console. If the linux system has XWindows you could try typing "startx" and press enter other wise you probably need to ask on the yellow dog forum - if there is one.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#7]
welldone MATTY47 :)

Sunteam Software(Posted 2008) [#8]
Just installed YDL on my PS3 today and didnt have that problem. Just out of curiosity are you planning on running BMax on YDL? If so have you got it working and how did you install it?

I'm running YDL 6 with the Enlighten E17/Gnome GUI frontend. I've run the legacy developer RPM installs and done the sudos but I'm stuck on how to install the BMax dist itself... any help much appreciated.

Sunteam Software(Posted 2008) [#9]
Update: Looks like BMax won't run on YDL6 on PS3, incompatible (for now)... was a nice thought ;)

*unless someone knows better (hint)

Canardian(Posted 2009) [#10]
openSUSE 11.1 runs fine on PS3, and as far I know BlitzMax runs on openSUSE 11.1 too.

openSUSE is a bit more hardware closer than Ubuntu, especially on PS3, where it can utilize the video RAM using its built-in driver.
It's also easier to setup on PC and PS3, since everything can be done from the graphical KDE 3.5/4.3 UI.

However, you need to cut down the list of installed default programs, since openSUSE is quite bloated if you let it install all programs by default, and then the PS3 is swapping memory a lot.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#11]
as far I know BlitzMax runs on openSUSE 11.1 too

It runs on Intel-based openSUSE, yes.

Since PS3 is not intel-based....

Canardian(Posted 2009) [#12]
I thought BlitzMax could run on PowerPC too. The product description is a bit unclear since it says neither Intel or PowerPC on the Linux version of BlitzMax, while for MacOSX it says it clearly.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#13]
I thought BlitzMax could run on PowerPC too.

Only on OS X.