Won't do anything

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Won't do anything

TwoCorin517(Posted 2008) [#1]
I've been using BlitzMax on Windows for a while now, know how to use the language, ect.

Recently I had Ubuntu 8.04 installed. Knowing there was a linux distribution, I tried to install it, however I'm still faily unfamiliar with the OS, when I tried to install it, nothing happened. Any suggestions?

JazzieB(Posted 2008) [#2]
Have you looked in the Linux section? There are guides on how to install BlitzMax stickied at the top of the forum, including a couple for Ubuntu.

TwoCorin517(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yes, I just found that that was the right section, but its all for 5.10 ect. I have 8.04.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
Either way, you should be asking in the Linux forum.

Not knowing how to get it to work, doesn't make it a bug.

JazzieB(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yes, I just found that that was the right section, but its all for 5.10 ect. I have 8.04.

It pretty much goes for any version. I've used it for Feisty Fawn, or whatever it's called! One of the version 8's, anyway.

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#6]
You probably just need to install libstdc++5

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#7]
Are you using the 32bit version or the 64bit version?
And have you installed the "RESTRICTED" display drives yet.

To find out Click Applications in the menu bar at the top (unless you've moved it ). Select Accessories->Terminal.
In the new command terminal type "uname -a" (dont type the quotes) this will then display some thing like this
Linux user-desktop 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

The i686 bit means that you have the 32bit version of Ubuntu installed (the 64bit version displays x86_64)

If you have the 32bit version in the command terminal type
sudo apt-get install g++-3.3 libglu1-mesa-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-gl-dev x11proto-kb-dev libxxf86vm-dev libasound2-dev

This can be found here ( http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63798 ) and should be made sticky.

If it's the 64bit version of Ubuntu then it gets tricky.
I had to create a chroot environment and install a very minimal 32bit build environment so that every thing would work correctly. Instruction found here ( http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=77778 ).

As for the "RESTRICTED" display drivers to initialize those in the menu bar at the top click System->Administration->Hardware Drivers and click the Enable check-box, then restart the computer.

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#8]
I would also do a

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#9]
Its annoying about not being able to use BlitzMax on a 64-bit processor - everything works, apart from the compiler...