Ubuntu 8.0.4 x64 -lX11 incompatibility issues

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Ubuntu 8.0.4 x64 -lX11 incompatibility issues

Pragun(Posted 2008) [#1]
I tried installing all of the required libraries (I don't know that much about linux). heres my output when i try to compile:

Building functions
Compiling:functions.bmx
flat assembler version 1.64
3 passes, 15373 bytes.
Linking:functions.debug
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libX11.so when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libX11.a when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../../lib/libX11.so when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../../lib/libX11.a when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../libX11.so when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../libX11.a when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libX11.so when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libX11.a when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libX11.so when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libX11.a when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libX11.so when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libX11.a when searching for -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /media/disk/Users/Pragun/Desktop/ver16/boxed-new/functions.debug
Process complete

does anyone know how to go about taking care of that?

Pragun(Posted 2008) [#2]
oh my system specs in my signature are old. i'm running off of a core 2 duo inspiron 1520 laptop w/4 gb ram and an 8600m gt.

skidracer(Posted 2008) [#3]
Where exactly did you get the required list of libs?

Did it include xlibs-dev ?

Maybe there is an ia32 version for x64 cross compiling.

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#4]
The compiler is looking for the 32bit X libs
Read this http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=76068

And I will give you a word of warning do not atempt to compile any modules. As you will be using the 64bit version of gcc/g++-3.3. There is no multi-lib (32/64bit libs side by side) version of gcc-3.3. http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=76407

There could be two ways round this...
1) Use a VMware version of Ubuntu 32bit and then copy the files needed.
2) Set up a chroot environment (I haven't tried this yet been to busy) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24575

Pragun(Posted 2008) [#5]
hm sorry its been about a week but i got really busy with school. i tried creating a lot of symlinks and stuff and now i get an even 'happier' error listing:

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpthread.a when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../../lib/libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../../lib/libpthread.a when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../libpthread.a when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libpthread.a when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libpthread.so when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libpthread.a when searching for -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../../lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../../lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.6, needed by /usr/lib/libGLU.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.5
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../../lib/crt1.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../../lib/crti.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/./crtbegin.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/./crtend.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.3.6/../../../../lib/crtn.o' is incompatible with i386 output

it seems each time i symlink one of the things, a different library gives me an error.

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#6]
Remove all the system links that you have created and try this as every thing works http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=77778

You will have to have a gig or so of hard drive space. As you will be creating a small install of Ubuntu 32

EDIT: You wont need a that much space only a few hundred meg