Ubuntu 8.04 and GTK Maxgui

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Ubuntu 8.04 and GTK Maxgui

plash(Posted 2008) [#1]
I have the 1.28 standard IDE, compiled with gtk instead of fltk.

Here is what I get from terminal:
$ ./maxide
./maxide: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkembedmoz.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Ubuntu 8.04 put firefox 3.0 beta 5 on it by default, so it is probably relocation issues.

My ld.so.conf file:
include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/usr/lib/firefox/libgtkembedmoz.so
/usr/lib/firefox/

Just looked in '/usr/lib/firefox' and there are no files there, just two folders, components and extensions.
I looked in both folders and found no libgtkembedmoz.so.

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#2]
I'm just booting into my freshly upgraded Ubuntu 8.04 and am aware that Firefox 3 is being used. But I think Firefox 2 is still in the repository isn't it?

degac(Posted 2008) [#3]
from this http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=74181

try this
sudo ldconfig /usr/lib/firefox

This should ensure the library can be found. You may also need to tweak the gtkwebmozilla.bmx file in bah.gtkmaxgui to uncomment this line:
Import "-lxpcom_core"

plash(Posted 2008) [#4]
1) 'sudo ldconfig /usr/lib/firefox' ditto.

2) Ditto there as well, it was already uncommented.

If you look at my ldconfig file (first post, thats /etc/ld.so.conf) you will see that '/usr/lib/firefox' is already in there.

EDIT: FF3 has some issues, I think ill just go back to FF2 for now.

EDIT2: There seems to be major problems (ie nothing works) in gtkhtml, Brucey? When opening maxide, and when going to module documentation nothing shows up in the help tab.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yes, I believe there is a bug or conflict of some kind between GTKmaxgui and pub.freeprocess, as posted a month ago here:

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=76522

Does the test code that I posted also hang on 8.04?

Import bah.gtkmaxgui
Import bah.gtkwebgtkhtml
Import bah.gtkwebmozilla
win=CreateWindow("Test",1,1,100,100)
process:TProcess = CreateProcess("/home/mark/BlitzMax/bin/bcc",HIDECONSOLE)

And yes, my guess was that it's the tickless kernel that was introduced in 7.10 that caused the problem, as the same official IDE code used to work in 7.04 & GTK.

plash(Posted 2008) [#6]
That code just runs and exits with no messages/errors (as assumed, did I miss something?)

What exactly does 'tickless' mean?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#7]
What exactly does 'tickless' mean?

I'm no linux expert, but I *think* it means that previous kernels generated a regular "tick" event, that processes received and could then use to process "things".

A tickless kernel doesn't generate these tick events (I think on the basis that it is more efficient processor-wise not to). Therefore any apps dependent on these ticks will hang: if the expected tick doesn't arrive, it will do nothing!

As for no error for you with the above code, well, bugger. I thought I was onto something 'cos that definitely hangs for me on 7.10...maybe *that* problem is okay on 8.04, and there's another issue hidden somewhere that's causing your problem...

plash(Posted 2008) [#8]
It still has the hang on apps when I run stuff (and have to close them using system manager - or whatever its called), but I can deal with that. No docs is a problem though.

Picklesworth(Posted 2008) [#9]
Correct me if wrong, but my understanding is that Firefox 3's renderer has been split into a seperate package called xulrunner. As a result, something using the renderer no longer depends on Firefox; we now have a nice, clean way to access it.

Could use some updating ;)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#10]
Could use some updating ;)

When firefox3 is out of beta and in widespread use, that might make sense...but not before.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#11]
Have found a "kind of" fix for the hang with freeprocess & gtk on my linux box in thread below. Doesn't 100% fix my issue with gtk (CE IDE still hangs, but gets marginally further...)

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=76522

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#12]
CreateProcess works if you sent the full path to the command. No partial file paths.