Blitzmax and Linux on AMD 64 processor

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Blitzmax and Linux on AMD 64 processor

Xerra(Posted 2008) [#1]
Just started getting into Linux and I'm interested in running my development using Blitz from within that. However, I appear to have hit a bit of a stumbling block in that the 1.18 Blitzmax installation linux version is Intel and I have an AMD64 processor.

Now i'm a complete n00b to using linux in any level apart from some basic terminal command usage but I'm assuming I can't run this version of BlitzMax and update it unless I'm using an Intel processor, right?

Is there any way round this?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
You will need Linux 32-bit libraries installed for BlitzMax.

The fact that it's AMD/Intel shouldn't matter. Just that BlitzMax is built against 32-bit libraries, so it won't work with the 64-bit libs.

Xerra(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks, brucey. All i have to do now is work out how to do that :-) Time for some googling, methinks.

Xerra(Posted 2008) [#4]
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790

That's for ubuntu users just in case anyone else has the same query I had.

HrdNutz(Posted 2008) [#5]
what distro are you using?

if you aren't very familiar with Linux, i would suggest picking up Novel's OpenSUSE 64 bit - works wonderful on AMD64 and Intel 64 out of the box, it's a bit large, but comes with 32 and 64 bit libs and everything else you could possibly want out of Linux system. Ubuntu is a nice desktop release, but is much more stripped down than SUSE.

btw, if you are using 32bit linux (which u can on 64 bit cpu) you shouldn't have to do anything to get BMAX working. However, i strongly recommend using 64bit OS on 64 bit system, specially AMD64 which is a native 64 bit CPU with also runs 32bit code natively, without having to emulate some crap like Intel does.

also, AMD64 differs from IA64 implementation, like 3DNOW and SSE3, but new releases like SUSE should be just x86_64 and have support for both.

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#6]
If you've got the 64bit version of Ubuntu then you can build applications with BlitzMax but you will not be able to build any modules, as BlitzMax looks for GCC-3.3 tools/libs and unfortunately Ubuntu 64 doen't support the 32bit libs needed by BlitzMax (It would be nice if BRL updated BMAX to use GCC 4.1/4.2 so Ubuntu 64 users could use the Multilibs packages)

Xerra(Posted 2008) [#7]
@ dawlane

Is it possible to rebuild modules within XP and then just copy the folder over into the linux installed blitzmax to bypass that problem then? Sure, it means having Blitz installed on both operating systems, but it's a work-around without having to install a different linux system as I've only just got used to Ubuntu.

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#8]
modules within XP

Not really the libs produced by MinGW are different from those used by GCC on Linux. You would have better luck with using the 32bits built on Ubuntu 32 and copying them over.
One way to to this is to use a Virtual Machine (VM) on Ubuntu 64 then install Ubuntu 32 into the VM.
The other possible way is the setup a chroot environment ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24575 ) but I haven't tried this yet.

Here's a link on How to install VM on Ubuntu
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware