Ubuntu 8.04

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Ubuntu 8.04

jamesmintram(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello, I seem to have a problem running anything graphically that has been compiled with BlitzMax.

Here is my output:

Building firepaint
Compiling:color.bmx
flat assembler version 1.64
4 passes, 26239 bytes.
Compiling:firepaint.bmx
flat assembler version 1.64
3 passes, 34211 bytes.
Linking:firepaint.debug
Executing:firepaint.debug
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.6, needed by /usr/lib/libGLU.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.5
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 39
Current serial number in output stream: 39
Locking assertion failure. Backtrace:
#0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xb7a87767]
#1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_lock+0x2e) [0xb7a8781e]
#2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0xb7e3f518]
#3 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 [0xb7da4a62]
#4 [0x823adb8]

I am assuming its a graphics related problem, I have never had a problem before Ubuntu 8.04 so I im thinking there may have been a library change somewhere, I cant work out exactly what the problem is or what I need to do.

Can anyone help?

---Edit

Forgot to mention I am running a Dual monitor config

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#2]
Do you have libstc++.so.6 installed?

jamesmintram(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yes, also i have ver 5. I have no problems running and compiling Blitz aps until i start anything graphical, ie:

graphics 800, 600, 32

For example will crash the app.

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#4]
I haven't been keeping tabs on ubuntu for a bit and I see that 8.04 is still beta. Are you using an ATI Graphics card? And is 3D enabled?

jamesmintram(Posted 2008) [#5]
I have an NVidia 8600GS installed with the Restricted drivers installed.

3D is working and Desktop effects are enabled, could this be a problem with a new set of NVidia drivers?

I have rebuilt all of the modules in Blitzmax as well.

dawlane(Posted 2008) [#6]
Run glxgears from the command console and see what happens. And are the composite extension turned off ?

Edit: Turn off Desktop extensions and see what happens then

jamesmintram(Posted 2008) [#7]
GLX gears runs fine (Already checked that!) - will turn off desktop effects and composite extension and see.

jamesmintram(Posted 2008) [#8]
Hmm, from what I can see it only happens when full screen mode is requested, this is most likely to do with the fact I'm running with a dual monitor setup.

I will investigate this further and post any findings.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#9]
I have never been able to run my game full screen under 7.10 with dual monitors. If I disable one monitor, it works fine.

I am installing 8.04 right now, will let you know what I find.

jamesmintram(Posted 2008) [#10]
Ok cheers mate.

TwoCorin517(Posted 2008) [#11]
I can't seem to install it period under Ubuntu... I put this in the wrong forum in the bugs forum. But I can't seem to install it.

TwoCorin517(Posted 2008) [#12]
Is there a reason that Ubuntu isn't installed in a package?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#13]
Is there a reason that Ubuntu isn't installed in a package?

You mean a BlitzMax package?

Because no-one has taken the time to create a package because of the nightmare that is all the numerous and different linux distro dependencies.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#14]
Sounds like your acceleration isnt working.

what does "glxinfo |grep direct say"

If it says no then you are not 3d accelerated.

Glx gears works in mesa indirect (software) too, just lower fps, so is not the best test.
If you have an Nvidia or ATI i reccomend googling for a program called "envy" it takes all the hassle out of installing and removing the drivers.

A bmax package for the 2 or 3 major distros would be very handy and wouldnt be -that- much of a hassle.

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2008) [#15]
Hello everyone,
I have been learning about Ubuntu 8.04 for the last few days and have successfully reinstalled on a separate drive after stuffing things up.
I would like to have the instructions for installing BlitzMax and then how to use rapidsvn to get to Bruceys wxMax modules.
I know there is a thread about installing ubuntu 5.10 and i have previously followed these instructions.
I think i need the steps to be a little more up to date as the older version of GCC was installed and i couldn't find the latest one.
Also which version of MinGW do i need?
Are there any files i need to copy from the MinGW folder to the BlitzMax folder?

I am a total beginner on Ubuntu so please assume i know nothing...

Cheers
Glenn

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#16]
You don't need MinGW on Linux. It is for Windows only.
Linux (with the developer packages installed) comes with gcc (the compiler) and most of the libs that you need.

If you want to build using gcc4.x rather than gcc3.3 which BlitzMax wants to build with, it is possible to make a symlink (like a shortcut) to make BlitzMax think it is using gcc3.3. It's mentioned in another thread hereabouts.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#17]
I briefly tried making a symbolic link using ln -s (linking the gcc version 4 to 3.3 within within VMWare Fedora but had no joy.) I managed to get a simple program compiling within Fedora/VMWare, anything more I started encountering probs. I could not be usre whether or not it was the VMWare that was causing the bother or my attempt at getting BMax running within VMware was missing stuff. so , would anyone recommend a particular flavour of linux for use with BMax ?

computercoder(Posted 2008) [#18]
I'd say Ubuntu 8.04 is just fine. I'd steer clear of VM clients as they will slow down the realtime speed of Linux (any flavor) under other OSes like Windows and Mac. If you can, try dual boot for optimal performance of linux.

That said, I run Ubuntu 8.04 under VM using Parallels 3.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.4. It runs fine untill you want the graphics acceleration up. I haven't tried anything with it since the latest build of Parallels came out to see if it has been rectified yet. As far as using it and running BMax or apps, they work, but a lil slow on my MacBook Pro 2.15 GHz w/ 3 GB RAM, ATI X1600 GFX.

I also run Ubuntu 8.04 on a dedicated PC and it runs everything just fine.

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2008) [#19]
@Brucey
Linux (with the developer packages installed)...

how do i find the developer packages?
Remember i am a complete beginner on Linux

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#20]
Type "gcc --version" (without the quotes).

Packages for development tend to be called things like "gtk+-devel", where "devel" indicates the package probably contains headers and a shared object (.so) for building against.

If you are missing anything, you'll get errors :-)