Two Linux Issues

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Two Linux Issues

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have come across two issues with Linux (Ubuntu 7.10) and BlitzMax. I cannot replicate these problems in a small program, but they fail consistently in my big project and I am hoping someone has a solution:

1) The Notify command doesn't work. It works fine in small sample programs, but in my big project the Notify command acts like a Print command, sending the message to the IDE Output window rather than a GUI message box. Of course, if the program is not run through the IDE then the user never sees the Notify message.

2) OpenURL is hanging the system. Again, it works fine in small sample programs, but it hangs the system in my big project. In my demo, I have a button that lets the user exit the game and automatically open the web page for ordering. The code is literally:
Sys.StopSound() 'kill the sound engine
EndGraphics
OpenURL "http://basiliskgames.com/order.htm"
End

Everything works up until OpenURL, then the system hangs and the app must be killed via the System Monitor. Again, this works fine on Win/Mac, and small sample programs handle the OpenURL just fine, but my big project fails to open the URL and the game hangs before exiting. I know it is not failing after Sys.StopSound and EndGraphics.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#2]
I wanted to say that problem #2, and a host of other glitches, can be fixed by disabling the Compiz/Beryl effects. They seem to cause quite a bit of havok on OpenGL games.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#3]
yes they do :)

The novelty has long worn off over the FX. I still use them but have a kill/init switch for them for using with anything that requires OGL. I basically have start and stop buttons on my taskbar. One script runs "compiz --replace" and the other "metacity --replace"

A cool idea would be to write a script called "/usr/bin/killfusion" or whatver that takes a parameter, invokes "metacity --replace" and then runs the passed program. then in the shortcut/launcher properties you can put (for example to run blender) "killfusion blender" as the launch command. Havent tried this myself, havent had time to play, but i have heard its possible.

for number one, it may be that its designed for a win32 gui. I reccommend writing your own LNotify() function either using drawing commands or use maxgui, gtk or something.