Linux Woes

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux Woes

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#1]
I just wanted to say that twice now I have loaded my project and worked with it for a while, then quit the IDE, and upon restarting the IDE opens for a split second then crashes closed. I've had to remove BlitzMax completely and reinstall it to get it back. [edit] Just discovered that I can delete the .ini file to get the IDE back, but I have to do this nearly every time.

I am going to try another IDE listed in the sticky thread, but come on BRL- it been 2 years now with no significant IDE update on Linux. We need this darn thing fixed/updated.

Secondly, I have the latest BlitzMax 1.28 and I cannot compile my project in Debug mode without running out of memory (2GB RAM). Why hasn't this been officially fixed yet? I am attempting to add that memory fix mentioned in another thread, but I have to fix the IDE first.

I want to move over to a full Linux development system in 2008, but right now there is no way for me to do it with the state of BlitzMax + Linux.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#2]
Can someone compile the latest CE BlitzMax IDE for me?

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154065

[edit] Forget it, I got the default IDE back. I can do it.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yes, while a fantastic language, the IDE blows chunks in its current state on both linux and windows. Theres no *proper* project management like 'mainfile' execution, the help doesnt embed properly(linux), the undo function goes crazy after a few multi-undos (this is the most annoying problem for me). Also, theres no folding, or other 'candy' features which would really make it much more attractive to use.

I reckon this should be given 100% priority over all else and i am sooo jelous of my little used C++ ide (codeblocks) and WISH i could use it (or one like it) for bmax.

Winni(Posted 2007) [#4]
Tachyon, try to build MaxIDE with Brucey's GTK-version of MaxGUI. That version runs quite well on Linux.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#5]
Thanks Winni! If Brucey has anything to do with it, then I know is golden!

However, after messing around with it, I have concluded that I must be doing something wrong. I have included all of Brucey's gtk mods and all the dependent packages, and I still get errors while trying to compile the MaxIDE.

Is there any place here on Blitz or somewhere else I can get there are very specific instructions on getting this to work? I am clearly a Linux noob so I need someone to instruct me as such. :(

I think my problems are related to this error:
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libxpcom_core.so, needed by /usr/lib/firefox/libgtkembedmoz.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link) 

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#6]
Readme for MaxIDE Community Editition (GTK version):

This is the GTK version of the Max IDE Community Edition V1.15. Simply extract the contents to your Blitzmax installation folder. To run double click maxide.

Note: You may want to backup your maxide file first, just in case.

Prerequisites.

1. You must have the GTK libraries installed. If you use Gnome then this will already be the case.
2. You must have the Mozilla libgtkembedmoz.so library on your system. This will probably be installed if you have Mozilla Firefox installed.

** IMPORTANT **

3. You must add wherever the libgtkembedmoz.so library is installed on your system to your linker library cache.

To do this under Ubuntu, open a terminal session and type:

sudo ldconfig /usr/lib/firefox

Enter your password. This path will now be permanently set on your system.

Other Distributions, You *may* need to change the path in the line above to:

ldconfig /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox

or wherever the libgtkembedmoz.so file can be found on your system. You will need to use a root account if your distro is not configured to support sudo.

** This software is provided as is, with no warranty etc, etc. Install it at your own risk **

Special thanks to: Brucey and Mark Tiffany

Tim Wellman, 09-Nov-2006

In other words, depending on your distro, this may work:
sudo ldconfig /usr/lib/firefox

Personally, I would rather the integrated browser got shaken out altogether and replaced with something much simpler: Executing the default web browser (externally) with the appropriate command line.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#7]
I think my problems are related to this error:

If you open up the gtkwebmozilla.bmx source, you'll see this :
'Import "-lxpcom_core"   ' On some installations, this is required.

Uncomment and re-build, and hopefully that should remove that error.

As for ldconfig, the only issue I have with it is that it can "forget" paths you set with it. If you have problems with it, consider adding the path to
/etc/ld.so.conf

It is protected, so you may need to "sudo" edit it, with your preferred editor - if you were using vi, your command would be:
sudo vi /etc/ld.so.conf

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks Brucey and Picklesworth- it was a combination of both your suggestions that got it working!

VP(Posted 2008) [#9]
It's entirely this sort of voodoo which puts me off trying to use Max with Linux. Especially as I'm using a 64-bit flavour of Kubuntu.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#10]
extracted fine. Next, upon trying to run MaxIDE got libstdc++.so.5:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

have tried this:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc4.html#compat

this allowed me to run BMaxIDE, can't believe I'm so close to getting this going with not (much) effort, now I've just to resolve the gcc3.3 compiler problem.......

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=75660#845516

So close, I ended up doing this:

ln -s gcc32 g++-3.3

However, I ended up with an /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11

Compiling within BMAX, Within Fedora Core 4, Within VMWare , on my XP Box. Cool. See here for final steps:-

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=75667

@Vinylpusher, I got BMax working within FC4 in VMWare, not too voodoo esque at all really. Sure, a little script to suck out the necessary packages might help... work for another day I feel. But thats an OS thing as opposed to a BMax issue. BRL is great.