KDE or Gnome?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/KDE or Gnome?

JaviCervera(Posted 2007) [#1]
I am a Linux user since year 2000. I started back then with Mandrake 7, which used KDE (version 1.4 if I remember right) as the default desktop, and the impression it gave me back then was that KDE was vastly superior to Gnome (which also came with the distribution).

Since then, I have tried many many Linux distributions, and after I moved away from Mandrake (on its version 8), I moved forward to Redhat, then Debian, and lastly Ubuntu. In that time, my default desktop environment switched to Gnome (which was the default on Redhat, and was looking impressive with the Bluecurve theme), the to KDE again on Debian, and Gnome once more with Ubuntu.

I have been seeing the evolution of both desktop environments, and while my opinion is that KDE is still superior to Gnome, i must say that I have noticed a HUGUE evolutive step in KDE since version 2 (but I think there will definitely be one with KDE4), while the Gnome desktop has been improved significantly (a good proof of it is the last 2.20 version, which is incredibily refined).

Since PCLinuxOS 2007 were released last may (which uses KDE), I have sticked to it since it is probably the distribution I have been more comfortably with of all the ones I have ever used. But I was wondering... KDE or Gnome, what's your choice?

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#2]
Gnome. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#3]
Gnome :) :)

dawlane(Posted 2007) [#4]
Depends on what distro I'm using at the time
ubuntu then Gnome
openSUSE then KDE

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#5]
KDE

BORNtobeNAMELESS(Posted 2008) [#6]
KDE

Picklesworth(Posted 2008) [#7]
Nice thing with GNOME is that you are entitled to make desktop-integrated applications for it using BlitzMax, with your choice of license. KDE, on the other hand, has its libraries GPLed, which means that the license is viral the moment your program dares look at it.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#8]
Your app must be GPLed anyway the moment you dare to include any of the kernel devel stuff which is actually done by BRL.System so unless you do a console you are dared on Linux anyway.

I used KDE, simply because Mandriva 2008 nicely integrates it and its tools around it.

nawi(Posted 2008) [#9]
Wait a sec, I need to GPL my program if I use functions from BRL.System?

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#10]
??

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#11]
Gnome.