Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy slowdowns?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy slowdowns?

pappavis(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy dedicated, dualbooting WinXP on my laptop Fujistsu-Siemens Esprimo V5515. Got Bmx running on it oke.

Weird thing is all programs runs 25% slower than the windoze-version of BlitzMax on this same laptop.
I triedbefore, running Ubuntu via VMware (on my previous laptop) which worked great, all apps ran at 100% speed on that laptop.

To get Blitzmax to compile sumthing i followed the Ubuntu-guide posted a the sticky of this forum.
Could an error "/usr/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.6, needed by..." be the reason for the slowdown?

Tech info;
BlitzMax version: 1.26

Building tempest
Compiling:tempest.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.64
3 passes, 45944 bytes.
Linking:tempest.debug
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.6, needed by /usr/lib/libGLU.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.5

Process complete

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#2]
The warning message can be ignored. It just means that there's another version of that lib installed and there might be a possible clash. It doesn't cause any problems.

There's a couple of things I can think of...

First, have you installed the drivers for your graphics card? It's possible your games may be running with software rendering.

Second, if you're running full-screen, do you have the Combiz effects on? I've found that you need to turn these off, otherwise you get terrible tearing.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#3]
Check you are not using mesa indirect rendering.

type "glxinfo |grep direct"
you should get direct "rendering:yes"

If not then something is set up wrong or your card cant support direct OpenGL rendering (unlikely if its a 'proper' graphics card).

Also, if you have the horrid "xserver-xgl" installed this will slow stuff up too.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#4]
Create a windows EXE then run it using Wine- Tadaa! runs faster! :-O

yeah, i'm not sure why, but I had this problem too.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#5]
Interesting, my laptop is also a FS. Im runing the same gutsy too and its the other way round, blitzmax on ubuntu is fastest for both 3d and 2d stuff. Are you sure you have direct rendering? Make sure you have no xserver-xgl installed.

Also, if your FS lappy is ATI like mine, use the latest ati proprietry "fglrx" driver, not the "ati" one. Seek out a program called "Envy" it sorted my driver stuff right out.

tin(Posted 2008) [#6]
i can not install nor run. no errors shows on my Ubuntu Gutsy 32 bit.

Cygnus. i used wine to run windows exe. it runs when compile and run. the game window is like a hole. nothing shows up.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#7]
I believe wine only works with the windows version of blitzmax not blitz3d.

i can not install nor run. no errors shows on my Ubuntu Gutsy 32 bit.

Did you install all the packages listed in the how to install at the top of the linux threads (the 5.10 one works with 7.10). Ive never had any problems with 32bit only 64bit (but thats probably because I have no idea what im doing in regards to symlinking the libs and theres no how to on it).

nrasool(Posted 2008) [#8]
I've installed fine on Ubuntu Gutsy 32 bit version as well

Have a look at Nigel Brown comment on:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=72871

It works for me :)