Weird Error

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Weird Error

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#1]
Installed Ubuntu 7.10, then BlitzMax 1.26 just fine.

When compiling my game I get:
*********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
File r300_mem.c function r300_mem_alloc line 225
Ran out of GART memory (for 1048576)!
Please consider adjusting GARTSize option.
Error: Could not get dma buffer... exiting

The dma buffer comment would appear to be sound(?) related. I do have system sounds and I can hear audio when steaming video from the net, so it appears the system sees my SB Audigy card just fine.

[edit] I also updated to the latest FASM already.

[edit2] A Google search seems to imply this is a video error. It's strange that this game compiled fine on an old Dell laptop with Ubuntu 7.04, but now I am getting this error on a newer desktop (with a decent ATI graphics card) and newer version of Ubuntu/BlitzMax.

[edit3] Yeah, I am seeing a lot of references to ATI cards in relation to this error. I tried a different driver and corrupted Ubuntu so badly I had to reinstall it. Still searching for another solution before swapping out video cards.

QuietBloke(Posted 2007) [#2]
afraid I cant help. I dont even have ATI card. Short of googling for your particular card and ubuntu and seeing if anyone has found a solution.

good luck

dawlane(Posted 2007) [#3]
Have you tried to adjust the gartsize in your xorg.conf file ?

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks for the responses guys. dawlane: no, and I didn't know I could do that. Instead I changed it to an older card (still an ATI model) and the error no longer occurs.