Anyone got an idiots guide to bmax and irrlicht

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Anyone got an idiots guide to bmax and irrlicht

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#1]
Anyone got an 'idiots guide' to bmax + irrlicht on linux?

Heres what i done so far...

Compiled the irrlichtLin.a and placed it in core.mod

Im getting the error (when trying to run 01.helloworld.bmx):

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.6, needed by /usr/lib/libGLU.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.5
/home/dan/BlitzMax/mod/irrlicht.mod/core.mod/libIrrlichtLin.a(COpenGLDriver.o): In function `irr::video::COpenGLDriver::loadExtensions()':
/home/dan/programming/irrlicht-1.3/source/Irrlicht/COpenGLDriver.cpp:581: undefined reference to `glXGetProcAddress'

dawlane(Posted 2007) [#2]
Did you build irrlicth from scratch?

They changed the reference to glxGetProcAddressARB in gl.h

heres a pointer http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6130&highlight=glxgetprocaddress

I managed to get the Hello world working with Bmax but other demos give the single 11 error

H&K(Posted 2007) [#3]
Well Gmans Linux convertion for Irllicht says you need this
http://flatassembler.net/download.php

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks guys, i managed to find that getprocaddress workaround last night and re-built it. Its great, I can compile all the irrlicht examples now in C++, and they are really smooth.
Im gonna try the bmax stuff later. I think I may have found my engine ;)

dawlane(Posted 2007) [#5]
Try and build it for a IntelMac now that is a challenge. It took me 5 hours to find the infomation I needed.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#6]
You do all realise that Gmans mod is cross platform (win,lin and mac) dont you?

dawlane(Posted 2007) [#7]
Yes I do but getting irrlicht to build correctly and getting the bmax mods to work on all platforms are another matter. Gman does say "NOTE: i have not yet compiled distributions for other OS."

Builds sofar tried using Irrlicht.mod examples
Windows.....Irrlicht YES with Irrlicht.mod YES
Linux..........Irrlicht YES with Irrlicht.mod Partial (Unhadled Exceptons possible GL problem? will look into this later)
IntelMac......Irrlicht YES (with a bit of effort looking through the forum) with Irrlicht.mod YES (Hello world failed (selec EDT_OPENGL driver to make work) and a few minor glitches)

H&K(Posted 2007) [#8]
IntelMac......Irrlicht YES (with a bit of effort looking through the forum) with Irrlicht.mod YES (Hello world failed (selec EDT_OPENGL driver to make work) and a few minor glitches)
That was a problem on irrlicht 1.3 for some winm users as well. Have you tried the new 1.3.1? Which fixes it on win at least/.

dawlane(Posted 2007) [#9]
Got 1.3.1 (1.3 is a waste of time) working, the Xcode project needed a bit of work with references remove/added from here http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19994&highlight=irrlicht+++mac

Problems with the Collision demo using irrlicht.mod and problems with the special effects demo using realtime shaders with both C++ and irrlicht.mod that could be a driver issue

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#10]
Just an update, gmans ib3d mods work well on linux.
Not tried it yet on xp/vista.