Wireless card problems

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Wireless card problems

William Drescher(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm running Linux and Windows Vista on my computer. I'm having a problem getting my wireless card to work. The computer is a Dell and the function key (Fn-F2) doesn't work in Linux to turn the card on. I've got Vista running now as I type this in this thread and my card works fine here.

dawlane(Posted 2007) [#2]
What distrobution of linux are you using and is it a laptop/desktop, what model? because you would realy be better off searching the linux distrobution forums to solve those type of problems (Ubuntu has problems with USB wireless adapters (as far as I know it hasn't been fix yet and I haven't checked for a long time. Other distrobutions may have the USB problem as well, again I havent checked))

Have you checked to see if your wireless card has been detected (in Ubuntu it can be found in the System->Preferences->Hardware Infomation menu).

If it is you may need to set it up in the Network configuration dialog box (Ubuntu Sytem-Administrators->Network menu)

The wireless card should be on by default. The Funtion key is more than likely a software enable/disable network connection that Dell have included, if so then you will need to find out what network adapter it is, download the Windows XP drivers for it, then download "NDIS Wrapper" then read the documentation on how to install and use it.

After installing the above, wireless networking should be enabled, if not go to the network dialog (System->Administrator->Network in Ubuntu) and Activate it, then all you should need to do is setup your network security etc,etc.

I don't like proprietary machines as I find them unreliable (with laptops you have no choice so I shop around), so far I've had 2 and neither ran correctly (cheap memory chips/Fans/heatsinks messy OS installs full of usless junk).

Now I just build my own (You still have to be carful and check for component compatibilitiy).

William Drescher(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thank you, dawlane, this was very helpful, if you have any other advice, my laptops model is E1405 and my wireless card is built into the computer. Mostly the problem is that the light that says that the card is on turns off when I start Ubuntu 7.04 and I can't connect to the internet even if I set up those other parts of it.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#4]
Theres a big chart somewhere on the UB. forums that shows every wireless card and weather it:
works OOTB, works with fiddling, sometimes, needs a windows wrapper or is just a dead loss.

It helps a lit if you know the cards chipset (atheros, ralink, intel etc)