Cant get BlitzMax to work on Linux!

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Cant get BlitzMax to work on Linux!

Space Fractal(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have tried this on newest version of Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS and follow the guies, but I could never got blitzmax to compile.

Now I have tried to use 5.1 of Ubuntu, which should been the recommered version, but now a lots of packes is now missing and can STILL not get BlitzMax to compile (IDE works fine and syncs fine).

- G++-3.3 is gone (have sumo linked instead).
- None of X11 libs exists anymore.
- LibXXF86vm is gone.

These packages does not exits anymore, so how do I now?

Here is what I got from compile window:
Building untitled1
Compiling:untitled1.bmx
flat assembler version 1.64
3 passes, 2782 bytes.
Linking:untitled1.debug
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: Ingen sådan fil eller filkatalog (no file exists)
collect2: ld returnerede afslutningskoden 1
Build Error: Failed to link /home/spacefractal/Desktop/BlitzMax/tmp/untitled1.debug
Process complete

What do I now, and which DISTRO is now recommered to get BlitzMax to RUN and a GUIDE to one of the updated Distro?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#2]
It worked first time for me with ubuntu after carfully following the installation how to.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#3]
These packages does not exits anymore
If you cannot apt-get these files then there is a problem with your software sources, and you will need to add them to the list manually. Try ticking all the boxes in synaptic>repositories and try again (that may work)

*(Posted 2007) [#4]
Use synaptic package manager and search for the files :D

Another thing you need to take into account is Linux is a unix system so all filenames and paths are case sensitive.

Space Fractal(Posted 2007) [#5]
I of course tried to search for all package on the synaptic mangeger. I got install some missing packages, but I guess these are still missing (which does NOT show in that manager):

G++-3.3 (all sublib seen to been installed for 4.0 and then I sumo linked)

x11proto-core-dev
x11proto-gl-dev
x11proto-kb-dev

Now I got a another error when trying compile a simple Print command:

- /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL

The above problem if I remember was the same with PCLinuxOS

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#6]
Ive got g++, g++v3.3 and g++4.1 installed.
I think it has to have 3.3 present.

For that IGL problem, try this in term:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev
sudo apt-get install libglut3

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#7]
You don't need g++ 3.3, since you can create a symlink that points to g++ 4.x without any problems
(well, I've never had any problems doing that on FC5/FC6/Ubuntu/SuSe)

Or... you can edit bmk and remove the dependency for the specific version of g++ that it has hardcoded in there.

By the way... as you know, if you don't specifically use Framework and Imports, Max will include all the "core" modules in your app (about 2meg or so of binary), including such things as GLGraphics, audo, png, jpeg, zlib etc...

Something like:
SuperStrict

Framework BRL.StandardIO

Print "Hello World"

Should compile to something *very* small, and not cause the -GL issue... Since one doesn't usually require OpenGL to output text to the console.

;-)

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#8]
By the way... as you know, if you don't specifically use Framework and Imports, Max will include all the "core" modules in your app (about 2meg or so of binary), including such things as GLGraphics, audo, png, jpeg, zlib etc..

I didnt actually, that will be very useful for writing 'skinny' apps! thanks :)

Space Fractal(Posted 2007) [#9]
I use OpenGL in my normal application, and hince I just used graphics as a test (to invoke OpenGL). The App I have is pretty big, which I want to convert from Windows to Linux (A Jukebox Applictation with named MultiJuke).

If running without it (just print to console), it does compile fine.

So I guess it a OpenGL issue and missing some thing like that?

Im use ATI 9600 card on that machine.

Both named packes seen to been installed here. By now it wont contact webserver (404 error), but I can see in the manager, both are installed.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#10]
You need to make sure you have the "dev" packages installed. These are the ones the compiler tries to link with.
Usually, the package will have the word "dev" as part of its name. You can generally find a "dev" package for every library.

For released applications, a user only needs the normal packages.

Space Fractal(Posted 2007) [#11]
Im reinstall Linux again, since something is messed up, since I even can get sudo apt-get update anymore and trying to install these 2 dev packs (it wont contact the server).

Space Fractal(Posted 2007) [#12]
It look like this distro is today defuct, since none of the dev packs can been found or won't install:

libasound2-dev (can only find none dev version of it)
libglu1-mesa-dev (can only find none dev version of it)
x11proto-core-dev (does not exists)
x11proto-gl-dev (does not exists)
x11proto-kb-dev (does not exists)
libxxf86vm-dev (can only find none dev version of it)
libasound2-dev (can only find none dev version of it)

:-(. So I upgrading to the newset version (v7.04) and try again.

Are they removed from the server? Does these exists in the newest version of Ubuntu?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#13]
What does it say in /etc/apt/sources.list?

mine says:

I can find and install the files fine. Try changing your file to .bak and make a new one with my sources then do a 'apt-get update' and try those files again.

Space Fractal(Posted 2007) [#14]
I cant rename or unlock the file, but I can see there are no deb links contain in the file.

Im are just guess it due because I installed it with Danish as language, that caused all problems?

I guess I might reinstall again with US as language with danish keyboard and see that changes?

Space Fractal(Posted 2007) [#15]
still no luck. I hate these dead packages. So I might give up now.

I cant even change the sources.list file. It locked and I cant rename or write on it on any way.

Linux/BlitzMax is not yet mature, and why are BlitzMax not install these packges automatic when syncro (even invoke these subo ternimal commands itself)?

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#16]
I'd reccomend downloading 7.04 and reinstalling.. then go from there..
It might just solve your problems..

Space Fractal(Posted 2007) [#17]
Yep, im doing installing 7.04 now.

Version 5.10 is defunct, so the thread how to install need to been updated to version 7.04.

If I can get it to work, I create a new HOW TO thread about it.

Space Fractal(Posted 2007) [#18]
Finally it got all packes installed correctly and few demos I tried works like a cheam.

You can follow the guide very well in 7.04 as destriptied in the 5.10 thread, and it found all packages (even the 3.X compiler did it found) listed on the first thread.

I remember I did it as well last time, but maybe it was in version 6.XX, where it diddent found packages or a least did not install them all correctly?

There are one warning, which seen you just can iqnore, it about lbstdc++ conclict between version 5 and 6.

I have now one problem left: Get FMOD running (because I need MP3 support, due to the jukebox application).

Anyway thanks, folks.