Blitzmax *WITHIN* XP *WITHIN* virtualbox...

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Blitzmax *WITHIN* XP *WITHIN* virtualbox...

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#1]
... within Linux!

I've just achieved this and I'm very pleased with it. VirtualBox doesn't seem to like my XP driver disk though, so I'm stuck with very irritating problems. However, BM should run fine due to how basic it is (although I haven't tried installing it yet).

Someone should have mentioned this earlier, because its a great solution to the BM-IDE problem, depending on what you're willing to do and if you care or not.

Any thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Ok, I see why no-one has really mentioned this. I can't compile because of various video mode problems... I ran a game at 1024x768x60htz (yes my XP installation supports it) but it wouldn't run. Maybe if I ran stuff in windowed mode then it'd be okay?

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#2]
VirtualBox doesn't seem to like my XP driver disk though

Pretty much all emulators emulate your actual hardware with their own virtual devices, so rather than loading your true hardware drivers, you'll need to figure out what it pretends to have and load the drivers for that.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#3]
Would VMWare Server do any better for you? Try that out for size, and see if that one will do a far superior job for you.

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#4]
Would VMWare Server do any better for you? Try that out for size, and see if that one will do a far superior job for you.

I'm considering getting VMware. But if I go over my 1GB datacap it will cost me another $10 for 4GB so I want to make sure that it will be worth while - so, does anyone here have an experience with VMware? Does it do a better job than VirtualBox when it comes to fullscreen applications?

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2007) [#5]
To me, VMware works better then Virtual Box. Unfortunatly both virtual machines do not support something like DirectRendering [3D support] so you will get many problems by trying to draw a canvas for example.
A question, why don't you install linux on your hdd, it's got a very handy system....

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#6]
A question, why don't you install linux on your hdd, it's got a very handy system....

Linux= host OS
XP= guest OS

I should have worded it better...

*(Posted 2007) [#7]
I finally found VirtualBox :D, I managed it the other way round tho I got VirtualBox for Win32 and got Ubuntu 6.06LTS running on it with BlitzMax :)