Anyone using Vmware on ubuntu

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Anyone using Vmware on ubuntu

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#1]
Im trying to set up the network card, how do i do it?
Its not detecting the name in XP so i guess i need to install some kind of driver to tell it to use the ETH0VM (or whatever) that has been created by the host. I dont want to use any network i just need SMB access to share files.

Any ideas

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#2]
VMWare emulates your real network card with a virtual one, so the drivers you install aren't the drivers for the real card, but rather the emulated one.

If you run VMWare on top of windows (and I assume under Linux too), you'll need to install the network drivers for an 'AMD PCnet adapter', which is recognized by default by many operating systems.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#3]
the host is linux and XP is the guest. Everything seems to work (usb etc) except the network card. Do you mean i need to install an AMD PCnet adaptor in windows? is this the driver windows needs to talk to the underlying virtual one?

QuietBloke(Posted 2007) [#4]
s'funny.. Im sure when I installed XP in the virtual machine it automatically detected the network card... and yes... its not the actual card you have in the machine.. its an emulated one.
Are you sure your virtual machine is set up to have a network card ?
Have you tried getting XP to autodetect new hardware ?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#5]
all i am getting is "(?)ethernet controller" under 'other devices'

I have tried installing the 'PCnet PCI II' driver (using 'have disk') from AMD but windows says 'the location contains no info about your hardware'

Why on earth did vmware choose to emulate some old card that seems almost impossible to get working drivers for :/

Are you sure your virtual machine is set up to have a network card
I think so, i said yes to the network questions in the setup script, also under network tools in UB i can see two virtual network adaptors, both with ip addresses.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#6]
Ahaaaa fixed it :) I changed it from bridged to nat in the .vmx text file and it seemed to work now :/
(I also deleted a line from the network settings section that looked wrong (but cannot remember what it was).)

Then all of a sudden.. *POP!* NetPC PCI II adaptor found... yay!

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#7]
Supposedly they used the AMD network adapter because it is very old, with great driver support across a large number of operating systems...

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#8]
Yep i see that now, i take it back :)

Thanks.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#9]
Well, actually, I'm using Vista and XP as a dual-boot, with two virtualized Linux distros within them myself, one being Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, and the other being SuSE 10.0. Now, having said that, even tho I'm using that the other way around, there's really no problems whatsoever in doing about the same stuff this way, but you won't be able to have VMWare use your native hardware acceleration to do anything, which is the sad thing.