Blide-like app for linux? Debug out of memory

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Blide-like app for linux? Debug out of memory

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hey guys. So Windows XP bluescreens for me, even if I try to reinstall it (in the setup), so I'm "stuck" with the new ubuntu this weekend. Two questions :)

1) Is there a blide-like IDE for linux? I simply can't stand the standard IDE now that I'm used to blide and multi-pane editing etc.

2) When I compile my game the error is "out of memory", it's only happening in Debug mode. I read the recent thread about it, and the fix for him was lowercase all files and no spaces, and I tried this too. The game works fine in normal compile mode, but debug just gets the error. Any ideas?

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#2]
When I compile my game the error is "out of memory",

Most likely a problem with FASM running out of memory.

See http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=67478
for details, and what you need to change to sort it out.

Basically it is down to Blitz trying to compile a "very large" .bmx file - tends to happen when one uses Include instead of Import ;-)

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#3]
I tried replacing includes with imports, but now I get some new errors, for instance scope-related variable issues and other weird stuff. Is there a difference between import and include I'm not noticing?

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#4]
Import compiles the imported file in its own scope.

Include sticks the included file into the code body where it is included and it gets the scope of that location.

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#5]
So if I have a type tmytype and in another file type tmyothertype extends tmytype I'm screwed. Which I do. Great.

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#6]
I can't get that fix working btw, I add the ?linux stuff to the proper file and compile it + rebuilding all modules, but it still says 16mb or so when I compile anything. What gives? :)

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#7]
No, the file with tmyothertype has to import the file with tmytype.

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks for your help taskmaster :)

I have 60+ included files, and I've tried my best to replace the includes with imports, but no matter what order I try, there's always some conflict.. I need to go with the more memory to fasm approach, but seems I can't get it working. I added the required lines to the required sourcefile and compiled it in the maxide, also rebuilt all modules, but it still says it's only using 16mb when I compile.. Anyone ideas?

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#9]
did you replace blitzmax/bin/bmk with your new version (which is most likely to be found as blitzmax/src/bmk/bmk where it was built)? A release mode console (non gui) build should drop straight in.

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#10]
Ahh, well that worked, but not for building my game. I tried upping the fasm memory parameter to something extreme, and it's still giving me the same cruddy error, both in debug and release :/

Building main
Compiling:main.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.67.21  (832000 kilobytes memory)
error: source file not found.
Build Error: Failed to assemble /home/pezz/buzzblaster/.bmx/main.bmx.console.debug.linux.x86.s
Process complete