Linux IDE... is it just me or...?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux IDE... is it just me or...?

jondecker76(Posted 2007) [#1]
Been trying to get used to BMAX linux version... So far it has not been the best of experiences either bug-wise or from tech support.

After using it all evening, the IDE appears to be *extremely* glitchy - the text will disappear for a while and sometime reappears immediately, sometimes not - this happens every time I hit the save icon.. The mouse also seems jumpy, like something will throw it out of the blitz max window every now and then for no reason. The text (font used in the IDE its self) is BARELY legible... (is this part of the blitz max font or is this somehow related to a gnome-theme?)

I just wanted to see if others are having as much of a problem with the IDE in linux? I'm not complaining - i think Blitz Max is great, but it would be nice to have a more active tech support staff and more polish on the non-windows versions.

thanks,
Jon

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#2]
The GTK version of MaxIDE will hopefully be included in next update, for now there is a community edition built for GTK.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154065

jondecker76(Posted 2007) [#3]
thanks a lot - this is much better!!!

WildStorm(Posted 2007) [#4]
http://www.blitzforum.de/showcase/?project=39

Also a very nice IDE!

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#5]
Are there any better IDE's for Linux?

I got use to using BLIde under XP. Building by project is a great feature.

I downloaded the community one, and that isn't bad. I am just wondering if there is a more advanced one.

I tried getting BLIde and IDEal running in Linux with Wine and CrossOver, but failed miserably. :) I even tried Mono on BLIde, but BLIde is written in VB.Nat and Mono does not support the VB libraries yet. But they did say Q2 2007, so there is hope. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#6]
I was wondering if 'anjuta' could be adapted somehow. When you run the wizard it comes up with choices for many dev platforms like GTK, gnome, X etc, and gives a choice of language : c c++ or both

Mabe if some C++er could update the source to include blitzmax and blitzGUI dev frames then add the language choice of bmax to the list.

Mabe its just a case of adding some kind of cfg file :/

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hmm, I'm thinking of getting after an updated version of BMax for Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, if that worked any differently for that than Dapper Drake ever did. I'm quite sure trying to make an IDE and compiler command that'll actually DO something here would be a bigtime bonus.

Just hope skidracer updates his installation guide for the newer kernels/versions of Linux, especially Feisty Fawn, since it seems to be slightly different from previous versions of Ubuntu.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#8]
Tried the GTK one and got:

./maxide: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkembedmoz.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thought i had gtk installed bbecause im running other GTK apps :/

Any ideas?

-EDIT-

DUH... ok slapped myself! (I got it now)

Yay! the in-app help is now looking helpful :)

Craig Watson(Posted 2007) [#9]
Installing Max under Feisty is no different to any of the early versions as far as I remember.

If you get stuck give me a yell.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#10]
No it isnt, its exactly the same as far as bmax goes

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#11]
not strictly true for blitzmax modules that are dependent on the location of shared libs of many flavours feisty I suspect being prone to the usual linux shared library location disruptions (musical chairs pattern) , in this case from mozilla the "oh no we'll call the path firefox this month" cos we have only moved the so 4 times already...

Having firefox maxgui html gadgets is well worth the effort of course, it could possibly provide for all the other gadgets as well if someone wanted to look into a chromemaxgui implementation.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#12]
Did anyone get that german IDE working? Does it hve to have KDE or would it work on gnome?

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#13]
I'm thinking it would be a decent idea to move away from IDEs in the Linux end of things, instead creating a cohesive set of smaller tools that work in a predictable way...
Just symlinking bmk from a place on my PATH and running the terminal works pretty well, but it could be nicer. I like GUIs :)

MaxIDE is a glorified text editor. While that is alright on its own, since it does theoretically give quick access to common things, it is not a very attractive text editor on this platform. Both GNOME and KDE thrive on integration, and this program is not at all integrated. Besides that, nobody uses FLTK.
We have a lot of much more attractive glorified text editors already available in Linux, such as Scribes, which ingeniously does away with any need for clever autocomplete with big lists of objects. Instead, it just keeps a history of single words that have been written, and autocompletes those. Much quicker, works for everything, and seems fine for most cases.

The only place in need of a fancy tool is debugging, building modules, and maybe reading documentation. We can scratch out the text editor component and start opening an external browser instead of trying hopelessly to embed the thing. Jumping to / highlighting lines via the debugger would be sadly missed, but that could be implemented by text editor plugins.

What gives me the right to babble on like this? The very rough and imperfect beginnings of a GTKSourceView syntax highlighter!

That is based on Noel's (currently superior) highlighter for Kate. Thanks, Noel!
Just dump it in your home folder, under ~/.gnome2/gtksourceview-1.0/language-specs/blitzmax.lang
The next big release of GTKSourceView is changing things with these language specs, and I had originally written for that one by accident, which is why this one is a bit half-assed. That version will work far nicer with BlitzMax :)

As for the GTK version of the CE IDE, I am almost ready to finally buy MaxGUI and try to get the thing working to my likings. It is a stellar improvement over the default IDE. I do not see any benefit to using that integrated browser control, though, since it has caused way more trouble than it's worth. Having the browser in a different window really is not that bad, especially when it means the difference between working well and working badly!

theHand(Posted 2009) [#14]
I had not been able to get the Linux version of MaxIDE to run (in Debian; working out-of-the-box in Ubuntu) for the simple reason that I would get the "Unable to determine blitzmax version" error every time I tried to get MaxIDE to start.

Turns out the file permissions of all of the binaries (in Debian, in /Blitzmax/bin) did not include that of execution, but Ubuntu knew to execute them.

Make sure you have this flag set before you post about having trouble getting MaxIDE to start up.

SebHoll(Posted 2009) [#15]
Edit: nvm

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#16]
./maxide: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkembedmoz.so

I am also having this problem. how do you fix it?

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#17]
Follow Mr Picklesworth?

Last edited 2012

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#18]
Follow Mr Picklesworth?
So you are suggestion nobody use the Linux version of the Max IDE and instead just use their favorite text editor? If this is now the official stance, you need to pull the product and no longer offer it for sale if it is so incompatible with Linux that the IDE will no longer work properly.

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#19]
CWS is having an issue with MaxIDE CE which is based on GTK MaxGUI which FYI is a Brucey module.

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#20]
Gotcha. Thank you for clarifying.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#21]
Hmpf I have issues with the default IDE in linux... it uses FLTK which looks "alienated".

The code-area behaviour is different to most of the editors I know (ctrl+cursorkeys, undo history, ...).
The only reason for me to use it sometimes is the debugger - I am to lazy to try integrating gdb/... into my geany - and to integrate "kill compiled/run app if hanging" into it.

So for me: yes, stop using the default IDE in linux. Maybe someone is willed to code it again in a more modern gui-framework (gtk or qt) - to make it opensource and able to use monkey too. Or build the Monkey-IDE in a way it also integrates support for bmx and its compiler.
It is possible without much hassle ... I have done part of it with wxMax but that seems outdated too.
So the IDE seems to have been written in a more standard language with current library-bindings (c and wxwidgets or qt). So you can be sure to get it compiled a year later (with more current lib versions).

But hey, the IDEs never were the "promotion aspect" of the blitz-languages :D

PS: BLide is nice but hey... WHY use the .net framework... yeah because of the used textarea-box-thingy and other "nice to have"-functions. If replacing them with .mono-compatible libs one could hope for mac/linux version of the ide. Yes I know, my "PS" is way offtopic.

bye
Ron

Last edited 2012

Derron(Posted 2012) [#22]
Don't want to double post but to bump :D

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=99540#1169504

-> Linux Geany IDE download (with blitzmax highlighting and compiler settings)

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#23]
Yes, Geany is quite a nice editor, but it's lacking a lot of things I need. For example, it needs way more build options, and a way to view all the "project" files somewhere, rather than having to open each one from a file selector. When I'm writing modules I have at least 4 files I move between, and like to have quick reference to others somewhere within the bah.mod structure. I can do it easily with the default IDE, and even with Eclipse - they both have this full-tree view.
Still, as a basic editor, it does a job :-)

Derron(Posted 2012) [#24]
View - Sitepan ...

Before: Tools - Plugin Manager - File Browser.

Should do what you want - if not, there should be some plugins available.

like: http://plugins.geany.org/geanyprj.html (an alternative project manager) and others...

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#25]
Thanks. The Tree Browser seems to have what I was looking for.
Trying to resist the temptation to mod it to provide context aware build options on the popup menu… ack!

Derron(Posted 2012) [#26]

mod it to provide context aware build options on the popup menu… ack!

Do it before I do (I had the idea of rebuilding the maxide-dropdownlist as a kind of extension).

It is fairly easy to extend the tagmanager and the catalogue too - so you would get an function/method/type-fields-tree. also function param calltips are possible

DrawImage(
      .-----------.
      | x integer |
      | y integer |
      | ...       |
      '-----------'      

But in case of a resurrection of wxmax it may be work on the wrong front. As with wxMax an Editor capable of Autocomplete, Calltips etc is just a matter of some code lines (exception is if you try to build ASTs etc to "understand" the code).

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2012) [#27]
Ok ...before you do, I do :D

I have started a geany plugin which displays a dropdown box and a compile button if a "bmx"-file is set as active document (remember: geany is usable for multiple file formats).

Most consuming time of the module was the work with "autoconf" etc to do something.

Next step is to provide a nice "properties"-window where the user can setup the blitzmax-path so the compilation commands will be correct.

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#28]
Well, I'm still thinking that modding the tree browser is more useful for me. I don't necessarily want to have to be looking at a particular file in order to re/build a module, but right-clicking on it in a treeview and selecting an option on the popup menu would probably be the most efficient.

I currently work with a shell open (on all platforms) and re-run a command there as I go.

I don't think we should hijack this thread any more ;-)

Derron(Posted 2012) [#29]
Before you fiddle with the code.

"plugins" itself do not seem to have access to the build-functions within geany, so you would have to make them "available".
If not, you will have to execute it in your own Virtual Terminal.
Maybe i don't see how to run a command, get its result etc.

PS: in geanys bottom part is status, compiler, ... _terminal_ (saves an additional window).

@hijack, yes, I certainly will have to stop posting in this thread.. better go to buddy drink some beer doing things with real hardware for little nephews :D

bye
Ron

edit:
ok you may "reach" the build command...

build.c - build_spawn_cmd is the one I am interested in
"geany_functions->p_build-> ..." allows to manipulate the compiler settings (the custom make commands...) - so one could manipulate befor emulating the menu-action of the custom-make-command (like it is done in some plugins).
More easy would be the "public"-ification of the commands in the build.h - which I wanted to avoid.

Last edited 2012