Which Distro for a USB Stick/CD?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Which Distro for a USB Stick/CD?

Genexi2(Posted 2007) [#1]
Been wanting to play around with Linux for once, just to get my feet wet in it, see what it's actually like and all that, but I just didn't want to go through all the hassle of having to setup my PC's harddrive to partition or correctly, or purchase a second one, and all that..

Anyhow, I recall there being specific Linux Distros that can boot entirely from a USB stick or CD, anyone got more information regarding that, or have any recommendations as to which distros to use for them?

EOF(Posted 2007) [#2]
See my new post in:

General Discussion - Ubuntu: Smarter way to install

Also, google "damn small linux"

Genexi2(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yeah, it was pretty much your topic that resparked my interest in trying it out, just I didn't want to do anything that required it to actuall install and run off my HD, hence the USB/CD q here.

Just tried out DamnSmallLinux via QEmu (didn't know that emulator existed), it appears a bit bare-bones to me though, but I guess it's because I'm just used to my full-blown WinXP installation here?

Going to look for more alts out there, got me lots of CD-R/DVD-Rs on standby if need be, and a 512mb USB stick if I need to save stuff onto, you know, keeping it all off my actual computer.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#4]
Knoppix LiveCD is a nice CD-bootable flavour.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#5]
There's a Ubuntu Live CD that doesn't require an install.

Genexi2(Posted 2007) [#6]
Any recommendations regarding Ubuntu Nomen? It seems to be one of the more popular Linux builds (RedHat being the other prior to it going commercial or something), did a quick google, and apparently there's quite a few versions of Live builds....currently looking at Feisty Fawn atm when I got 4gb of bandwidth to spare.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#7]
DSL is a 50MB cute debian mini linux that boots from anything bootable (wven works inside windows) It comes with some cool basics (mp3 player a W.proc(not oo.o) and paint (not gimp))
It does however take a fair bit of apt-getting to get anything resembling a big distro tho.

www.damnsmalllinux.org