Linux noob: Installing Fedora Core 6

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux noob: Installing Fedora Core 6

neilo(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

I want to play with this Linux thing, so I figure I'll install it onto a space laptop, a Dell Inspiron 4000.

I believe I want to install Fedora Core 6, but I only have that on a DVD and the Inspiron has CD drive. I do have an external DVD drive, but I can't boot off it.

I have installed Ubuntu 6.whatever (as I have that on a CD), but I can't seem to get my wireless stuff working - friends tell me that FC6 sorts that out.

Soooo... any takers on this? Is it possible to extract the DVD into CD's? Or, if I'm already running Linux, is it possible to run an installer off the DVD?

Thanks,

Neil

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#2]
friends tell me that FC6 sorts that out.
Your friends are probably wrong. Depending on what wireless card you have you'll need MadWifi or NDISWrapper (and your windows drivers).

neilo(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hmmmm. Prism54 sees to be what i need.

However... there remain the question of how to install FC6 from a DVD without a bootable DVD drive.

The solution was to get The Fedora 6 and RHEL Bible. It contained another FC6 DVD, and a FC6 Live CD. This is the key.

You boot the computer with the LiveCD (and the DVD drive plugged into the USB port). At the Live CD's prompt, you type:
linux askmethod
and select a local CD/DVD as the source. The installer now goes off and finds the DVD, and the install proper now starts.

Simple when you know how - and when a book explains it all in detail.

Now off to get the appropiate sources and patch the kernel for wireless to work.