Any word on next version of Ubuntu/Kubuntu?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Any word on next version of Ubuntu/Kubuntu?

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm basing this question on the upcoming Fedora Core 7. Now that Red Hat has their next version of Linux coming out, I was wondering if Ubuntu had any plans on releasing a new version of Linux to counter that. I, for one, may probably go Kubuntu this time, but I was curious if there was any confirmation on an Ubuntu 7 in the near future.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#2]
Any word? o_O

Yes. Many many words, going back to at least October last year.

It's due out in April. Always has been.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hehe, leave it to Linux to be out later than the other two next-gen OSes (Vista, OSX Leopard). For an operating system that was supposed to be leaps and bounds over the commercial OSes out there, this is most certainly a Mr. Catch Up routine if ever I saw one.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hehe, leave it to Linux to be out later than the other two next-gen OSes (Vista, OSX Leopard). For an operating system that was supposed to be leaps and bounds over the commercial OSes out there, this is most certainly a Mr. Catch Up routine if ever I saw one.
OS 10.5 is coming out after Vista and after Ubuntu 7.04, and may I remind that Ubuntu is one of thousands of desktop Linux distributions. (And that the new kernel has features going beyond certain others. Though I question the sanity of putting such features in the kernel, it is quite cool). Also, that the 6 month release cycle is quite rigid.

Yep, I'm using Feisty Fawn at this very moment!

The development version is pretty stable, though I'm worried of a bug killing my home directory; there seem to be two of them bouncing around.

A lot of the changes have been deferred and feature freeze is coming up fast (that 6 month release cycle is at fault), but there are some nice adjustments and it's feeling a lot more responsive. (Of course, since this is the development version, there are still tons of crashes).
There are also some new apps in the repositories (another rather dumb thing: Why don't they add stuff over time? Why do the repos need to be stocked up pre-release and hardly at all post-release?).
Compiz by default is deferred... AGAIN... Err... there's a really cool pie graph for disk usage?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeistyFawn/Herd1?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=boabob.png

The new NetworkManager program for seemless / automatic wireless internet access is looking good, though again needs more time; there is no way to configure static IPs for certain access points, which is really lame and puts it miles behind anything else.

I think Feisty needs more time, though maybe I will be proven wrong. Once all the bugs are gone, it will be a lot easier to see what's new.

Anyhow...
Release schedule: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeistyReleaseSchedule?highlight=%28feisty%29
Herd 1: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/herd1
Herd 2: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/herd2

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#5]

RAMspeak.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#6]
Okay, was Feisty Fawn supposed to be released simultaneously with other Linux distros, namely Fedora Core 7?

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#7]
Nope, they have their own release schedules.
I believe Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) is the first one with the new kernel, though. I'm probably wrong.
Ubuntu's releases are always set up to go along with Gnome's releases.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#8]
Well, as far as good Linux distros, Ubuntu is probably in the top 5 as far as popularity, IIRC. I mean, you got Red Hat, Novell, and Mandriva which may be more popular, and maybe Gentoo may round out that list.

However, Ubuntu has become far more popular than they used to be. I mean, if it wasn't for Debian/Xebian, Ubuntu would probably never exist to become the most popular distro on the Debian structure, and probably the most supported by the open source community.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#9]
im sill on dapper.. aparently theres a new one (edgy?) but am waiting for synaptic to tell me i need it

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#10]
Edgy's been out since October last year. Synaptic won't tell you that you need it because Dapper's been designated the LTS release (Long Term Support), and there's no point doing that if it's just going to update itself at the first opportunity.

I deployed seven machines at work with Dapper because it's a commerical environment, but I use Edgy myself without (too many) problems. Within the parameters of a personal computer, it's been operating "within acceptable parameters", though I'd have been annoyed if I'd been using it in a business situation and some of the things that have happened, had happened.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#11]
Debian Etch sounds pretty cool, by the way, because they actually put in a Slick Boot feature, whereas Feisty has it deferred. (Again).

Oh well, some day. It was meant to make it to this release, so maybe they will try extra hard to get it in the next...

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#12]
Yeah, on top of that, at least Dapper is easier to configure and install different types of packages than others. I mean, Edgy is nice, but Dapper is far easier to REALLY make for a perfect Linux experience, IMHO. I happen to like Edubuntu a bit, since I have just recently d/led all four desktop packages. It seems to give you all the tools you need to make a real nice Blitz game, which is nice of them to have this version.

However, since I DID download Edubuntu, it seems like Edubuntu boots up for my GNOME session instead of Ubuntu. It's almost like it replaced Ubuntu for that session... Is there a way to separate Ubuntu from Edubuntu for two separate GNOME desktops? I mean, all four desktops are nice, but with two GNOME-based desktops, I can't seem to get too much of a choice now...