gcc3.3

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/gcc3.3

Banshee(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm trying to compile under Linux using Knoppix. I cannot repartition my system and Knoppix is a CD bootable Linux with loads of drivers and all is OK except for one thing, it has gcc-4.1.

I have tried making a link (/usr/bin, ln ./g++-4.1 g++-3.3) but because the OS is on CD I dont have write access. Is there anything I can do to put a gcc-3.3 somewhere else and add that somewhere else to the command line path?

I've tried the /home/bin/ and also /home/BlitzMax/ paths to no avail.

I'm not a Linux expert, this is my first play with it.

Banshee(Posted 2007) [#2]
Well I gave up with Knoppix, and tried to install Ubuntu which killed my XP partition. So dont worry about answering this, i'll be reinstalling this iMac for a bit, and i'll repartition the drive leaving room for Linux this time :(.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#3]
Is there anything I can do to put a gcc-3.3 somewhere else and add that somewhere else to the command line path?
I suppose you could put it on a USB key (or similar device) and make the symlink there.

i'll repartition the drive leaving room for Linux this time
Good plan. Alternatively unlike Windows, Linux can be installed on and boot from an USB HD.

grable(Posted 2007) [#4]
EDITED: I must be blind, i managed to miss the sticky. nothing to see here, move along ;)