Qt / KDE Max GUI ? ;-)

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Qt / KDE Max GUI ? ;-)

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#1]
You can keep up to date with progress in my worklog HERE.

Just wondered what interest there would be in a Qt/KDE based Max GUI module?

Wanting a break from my svn module, I spent yesterday tinkering around with accessing the Qt API through Max, and I have to say that it was interesting to say the least.
Not knowing a ***** about C++ has made it a wee bit of a challenge, given it's built entirely in that language, but I seem to have this scary ability to be able to make it up as I go...
By tea time, I had a Qt Max window generating size, movement and close events :-)

I'm sure if I knew how to use C++, I could do a better job, but it seems to be working. I guess Skid would say that calling directly back into the Max module from my glue code isn't a good idea, but it works.

I was scratching my head for the rest of the evening trying to implement title-less windows, etc, but, as it turned out having then tried to run a Qt example (toplevel) which lets you choose different styles for a window, that it wasn't ME that was the issue. Most of the styles simply didn't work on my (FC6) linux. Either in Gnome or KDE.

Anyhoo, I then split off the module, and started looking at a "KDE" version, which works slightly differently.

As another question to raise, would people prefer a Qt or KDE based module, or both, or neither? :-p

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#2]
Is it going to be cross-platform? Otherwise I don't see much point, but a cross-platform QT module would be rather brilliant.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#3]
If it ever gets that far, I guess someone else would have to volunteer to do the/any Win32 work on it.

I don't suppose I mind looking into a Mac port...

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#4]
I'm sure if I knew how to use C++, I could do a better job, but it seems to be working. I guess Skid would say that calling directly back into the Max module from my glue code isn't a good idea, but it works.

I doubt it would be possble to interface directly with blitzmax, so yes c++ glue all the way! I got a bit lost in the C++ wizardy required to manage their message map thingys but that was quite some time ago and they may have a more runtime oriented approach to hooking everything up these days.

I remember thinking running a qt gui engine on a different thread might also make things easier to build.

Anyway, even if you don't get the implementation that far along, I'm sure there would be some of us interested in contributing to it's progress, so if you could release source as soon as is convenient I think it would be a really good thing!

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#5]
Once I get things rolling, I'll post what I have so you can all have a laugh :-)

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#6]
Anyway Mr Duck, I thought you didn't like Qt? :-p

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#7]
Compared to what? Compared to fltk? Sure I'd rather see wxWidgets, but I'll take QT if it's on the menu.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#8]
Ack... the Qt build on Mac (from source) sucks up 2.15 gig !!

I tried building a Universal set of libs, but it didn't seem to like that idea on my G4 Powerbook...

Um... this C++ thing. When I come to having to handling "Freeing" the gadgets, I'm going to have to remove the widget instances somehow. I gather I need to call some kind of Delete on the instance??
I guess I can cross that bridge when I get there... :-)

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#9]
In case anyone doesn't know... Qt is GPL'd... so this module (and any code using it) will have to have its source available.
No idea what license I should apply to the mod then...

Unless of course you happen to purchase a commercial license of Qt - but I doubt then you'd be using Max with it anyways :-)