Fedora Core < or > than Ubuntu?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Fedora Core < or > than Ubuntu?

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#1]
As most well know, I have had Ubuntu Dapper Drake for the better part of the past few months. However, seeing as tho Ubuntu has served me well, I believe that BMax seems to be a pain in the butt on it, even after all that instruction. So, having said this, from what I understand, Red Hat may do better for BMax. However, is Red Hat actually that much better than Ubuntu? Has anyone put these side by side, and determined which distro gets better support?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#2]
I thought Ubuntu was what BRL tended to advise people to use. I have used FC4 in the past, and it seemed alright, pretty painless to set up (there's a howto around here somewhere). But I never really used it in anger.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#3]
Well, it's not that it's in anger that I'm doing this, it's just that I feel that Fedora Core and Red Hat gather much more commercial AND open-source support, not just open source/minor commercial support like Ubuntu. I mean, same was true with SuSE, because you know that Novell is a big player, but Red Hat's a legend in the Linux industry, as you well know. However, I'm considering this as more of a secondary OS to Vista Premium, possibly. If they'll both fit on my notebook, may probably have Vista on my notebook, and Red Hat on my external HDD, haven't confirmed anything yet.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#4]
I use Fedora Core 5 currently for 90% of my BlitzMax development. The other platforms, certainly recently, I've only been using in order to get my mods working on them.

I don't have any problems with FC5 and Max. The only thing I would say where Ubuntu has an advantage is in the ease with which you can install the libraries you need. (Their package manager is better, imo).

I also use Ubuntu 5.1 on a VM instance in Windows for basic testing and syncmods. It works well too.

I think, at the end of the day, they both work in much the same way, but, it's all up to individual taste as to which you prefer.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#5]
Great, thanks, Brucey. I may probably give Red Hat a little try, and see what Fedora Core does vs. some of these other distros. IIRC, Blitz supports Fedora Core as well as Ubuntu, I remember that they had another distro as their supported model besides Ubuntu. I mean, Dapper Drake is great, and I got all the drivers for 3D acceleration, and for gaming purposes, but Fedora Core would allow for more to be supported, I'm quite sure. Especially on a notebook, Fedora Core 5 and/or 6 would be a great choice. AFAIK, they should be releasing Fedora Core 7 very shortly, but I dunno how much better that's gonna be.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2007) [#6]
Mandriva works nicely aswell

Wellmt(Posted 2007) [#7]
Linux is Linux. Generally though no always the packages are available in one shape or form on each distro.

Just find the one that works in the way that you like (for example hardware detection, package management, Desktop Environment). For it's Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, Red Hat, SUSE in that order.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#8]
Sweet, may do some hardware upgrades here shortly, then I'll see if I get enough HDD and RAM to do a dual-boot of Vista and Fedora Core, or something like that... Then again, for the same price as upgrading my notebook, I could probably wind up going back to a desktop again, who knows?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#9]
Successfully installed Fedora Core 4 within VMWare(on XP Home), all you need is a few gigs spare on your hard drive. Stopped me from going down the dual boot road. Have not taken the next step of installing BMax just yet though, not so sure there is fantastic/any support for 3d in VMWare - believe the latest release of VMWare is coming pretty close to providin 3d support.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#10]
However, is Red Hat actually that much better than Ubuntu?
No. It's worse. Debian > Redhat.

Has anyone put these side by side, and determined which distro gets better support?
They're both open source. What do you mean by support? Oh and BTW RedHat Linux <> Fedora Core. RedHat Linux = Fedora Core + all the commercial applications and support plans you might need.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#11]
i use dapper and max with no problems... yet

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#12]
Well, I meant as far as better backing from a commercial company, much like Novell is a big company that backs SuSE, and Red Hat's another corporate-based distro that backs Fedora Core. Something like that, only the fact that Fedora Core's the "free" version of their Linux system.

ragtag(Posted 2007) [#13]
I'm using Ubuntu Edgy Eft at home and Fedora Core 6 at work. Though I don't run BlitzMax on either, sorry (mostly use it on OS X).

My preference so far is for Ubuntu, especially for home use. The package manager is much faster and there are considerably more packages available by default. Installation was dead simple and the download of the distro is much smaller than FC6. Ubuntu doesn't have an active root user by default, but uses sudo instead (though you can activate the root user if you want). I've got both my home (Ubuntu) and work (FC6) computers running with full OpenGL support, Wacom support and more. Even installed Beryl for fun at home. Both work fine, so it really becomes a matter of preference.

If you're using big commercial software on Linux, they tend to only have official support for RedHat Enterprise, Suse and the like. But will usually work fine on other distros.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#14]
I believe RedHat uses Fedora Core as a 'beta test' release system for their Red Hat Releases.

I haven't ran BMax on my FC4 yet, (on my to do list) - I just wanted to highlight that it may be possible to save some money on hardware. I didn't experience any problems during installation using the VMWare product (it's free) route with FC4.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#15]
I'm looking at basically using BMax exclusively on my Edubuntu desktop, since it has all the tools that a Blitz developer could want, all the 3D animation/graphics tools, audio development, etc... Better packages than any of the other desktops that Ubuntu has when is comes to game design.

I might dual-boot the Ubuntu package (Ubuntu/Edubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu) with Fedora Core 6 eventually. For right now, tho. I'm happy with my external HDD having this set of desktops for right now. I'm still waiting on an upgrade version of Blitz3D for Vista, but I dunno what that'll be. However, Dapper Drake seems to be highly supported, especially under the Edubuntu desktop with all those fancy packages... Should be worth taking advantage of. Seemed to me that Blitz supported both Red Hat AND Ubuntu, from my original understanding.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#16]
If you want a costless Redhat Linux distro, you're looking at CentOS. Fedora Core is just bare bones Redhat. Redhat is a server OS.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#17]
I have Edubuntu installed on an old laptop and bmax works fine on it (surprisingly). Was -relatively- easy to setup compared to Fedora on the same laptop. For the most part I think that the graphically intensive applications that are bundled with a full Edubuntu install take care of some of the dependencies.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#18]
Plumb straight, Edubuntu was MADE for gaming/game/graphic development. Especially when it comes to BMax.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#19]
I believe RedHat uses Fedora Core as a 'beta test' release system for their Red Hat Releases.

Sort of the way you would compare SuSE/OpenSuSE to Novell's Enterprise Linux distros. Even tho if you want the same business-class support for SuSE, then you will have to get the $60 version or whatever it is... Then again, Novell's a rather big corporate brand of Linux, anyway. I remember having that distro before switching to Ubuntu for the first time...