I just noticed how many errors there are.

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/I just noticed how many errors there are.

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#1]
Damn, is the menu meant to look like its been hit by a hurricane? And is it normal to not be able to access basic information on the sidebar? This is terrible :S ... I'd make a financial contribution to make BM work on linux perfectly :D ... Microsoft is evil.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#2]
What appears to be the problem, exactly?

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#3]
Errrr... everything? It looks like brl has just made a TECHNICAL compatibility and left it like that with huge amounts of errors. The syntax hilighter doesn't hilight text between quotes, but it can compile and run... the refresh rate jumps from 60 to 75 when I'm running a program though.

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#4]
Errrr... everything?

Hehe... I'm guessing you'll have to be a little more descriptive than that.. :)

Sub_Zero(Posted 2007) [#5]
Please do a list of the "errors" you've encountered

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#6]
- Everything on the welcome page is in the wrong place. Theres also no images.

- On the sidebar, if I go modules>index>"and" (or anything really) it then goes to the wrong page. "And" for example, opened "blitzruntime" which is the category that "and" is in.

- Syntax highlighter doesn't highlight text between quotes (its meant to go light green)

- Annoying flicker when I click save or a number of other things (this isn't too annoying, however it looks cheap and nasty)

- The refresh rate parameter on "graphics" doesn't work. My game says to run at 60hertz as my lcd is meant to, but when I run the game Ubuntu sees that it is a fullscreen program and intervenes with ITS default - which is 75hertz.
--------------------------------

I'm not sure if its any different on edgy eft, but this really sucks. I could probably do a dual boot but I only have one partition right now. Dualbooting to use blitzmax would be pretty stupid anyway. I know that blitzresearch thinks that making bm work properly with Linux would be a waste of time because no one uses it, but Windows is a horrible OS and we should be able to use alternatives and have software (blitzmax etc) work with our alternative.

I heard that it is possible to fix the refresh rate to 60hertz by "reconfiguring the x-server" but apparently its dangerous. The main problem for me is not being able to use the sidebar - it just doesn't work and theres none of those bluetables that make information stand out either. Is there an offline alternative to the sidebar? Could I open the pages individually with firefox or something?

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#7]
MaxIDE help goes to the wrong page? Does it start up firefox or is it trying to use it's own (admitedly decrepit and ineffectual) help system?

If you want a better looking IDE, i would seek out Brucie's GTKMaxIDE which is reportedly shaping up quite nicely.

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#8]
Blitzmax runs the sidebar itself, I think. Anyway, I need to sort out some of this crazy technical stuff so I actually know whats happening :S

- What level of access is there for anyone to just edit stuff?
- Are any fixes available right now, that are bugfree and don't involve downloading 500000000gb of of crap?

Sub_Zero(Posted 2007) [#9]
Uber-Nerd, those are all IDE related issues, except for the refresh rate issue.

Ubuntu will ofcourse intervene if Xorg is running at 75hz, you'll have to set it to run at 60hz ;)

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#10]
Xorg is running at 60hertz, its just in fullscreen it changes. Otherwise my refreshrate is fine... its not like I'm stupid enough to let it permanently run at 75hertz... lcd monitors are expensive you know :D

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#11]
<quote>500000000gb of of crap</quote>
A nice open attitude to developing on Linux I see... :-)

FLTK (the GUI toolkit used by the IDE) is not over-burdened by features, but it does a job - just.
However, I believe it was used because it was light (in a non 500000000gb sense) and the complete source could be deployed with Max.

For a more standard "Linuxy" feel, there are of course the GTK and KDE (aka Qt) GUI toolkits.

The GTK module for Max turns the IDE into something that works just as well as the Windows and Mac IDEs.
But yeah, you'd need to download 500000000gb of "developer" libraries to be able to *build* with it.

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#12]
Hmmm... not worth it. A guy in my other thread (in general discussion) said that Linux shouldn't be used as a primary OS... I'm probably somewhat at fault here, I'm deciding whether I should do a dualboot. Probably the best option, I'm going to need Windows for other things too (but no way will I put it online) So I might just go with that option some time... some time when its not 11.30pm!

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#13]
Uber-nerd;
why don't you try to DL Brucey's GTK Version of the IDE?
Brucey mentions that you'd need the GTK toolkit devel thingy, so you should get that, and then compile the IDE.

I haven't tried any if this stuff because I haven't been running Linux in ages, but I think that if you ask Brucey,
I'm sure he'll write a few lines on how to get it up and running in no-time.. :)

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#14]
Linux shouldn't be used as a primary OS

Works perfectly well for me.

In fact, we use it at work too, both for desktop and server stuff.

At the end of the day, it depends what *you* need. If the software you require is only available on Windows, there's not much other option to take.
Personally, I prefer Linux and Mac, and I have access to all the stuff I'll ever need on both those platforms...

And, if something ends up not working properly in Linux, find out how one might go about fixing it - That's why I learned about GTK, so that I could build a Max GUI module using it...
...and if I could only get my head around how to use C++ in Max, I would seriously have a go at making a Qt one too...

The great thing about the openness of Max (you have all the source), is that you have a base to start adding to it, and at the same time, improving upon it.

Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty - you'll learn more that way too.

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#15]
Well I don't need windows, because it sucks. And theres no reason I'd want it except to run Blitzmax, so about the gtk module? Where do I start with that? Because it can't be that hard to borrow someones broadband account and modem or something like that if there is heaps of stuff I need to download :D

Or I could download it overnight. But whatever I do, I have no idea about all of that crazy gtk stuff and I'm completely lost. Could someone point me in the right direction?

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#16]
I think Brucey's the one to answer this, but I just wanted to say that it shouldn't be that much to download..
I'd guess you'd need a few devel packages or something..

Let's hope Brucey (or Skid) will answer you, coz I might be interrested in firing up the newest Ubuntu on my old desktop again, sometime in the near future.. :)

Uber-nerd(Posted 2007) [#17]
I just wanted to say that it shouldn't be that much to download

... unless you have a family constantly waiting for calls that never come. Its hard to believe that its 2007 and 80% of New Zealanders are still on dialup. Its meant to be the "information age" yet we still can't use the phone while browsing the internet :(