Ubuntu / make

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Ubuntu / make

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#1]
What do i need to install to be able to use the make command in Ubuntu??

Robert(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think make is part of the "build-essential" package, which you can install using the Synaptic package manager tool.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#3]
Ah thanks a lot Rob... it's these little stumbling blocks that make Linux a mare for a new user.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#4]
if your make file uses gcc / cc you might need to make sure that it is in your PATH variable so it can be found.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#5]
GNU binutils?

Robert(Posted 2007) [#6]
> Ah thanks a lot Rob... it's these little
> stumbling blocks that make Linux a mare for a new user.

Indeed. I have been Linux for a few years though and I see the blocks being removed little by little.

For example, when I first used Linux it was necessary to install each little tool needed for development one-by-one to get a useful setup. Ubuntu has a single package now, called build-essential which includes most of the tools to get you up and running.

I also saw a specification and a work-in-progress implementation recently for a "command-not-found" tool for Ubuntu which tells you what to install if the command is not found on the system. Hopefully that will be ready for inclusion by default in the near future.

For beginners the "Add/Remove..." tool on the Applications menu is the easiest way to get software, Synaptic is useful for power users as it has better searching facilities.

I personally find most software through the command line, as that is often the quickest way:

> apt-cache search <keywords>

To find software matching a particular query.
Then to install the software:

> sudo apt-get install <package name>

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thanks again Rob. I can see it's come on a lot since I last tried it a couple of years ago, but still a bit too much effort for me at this stage. That "command not found" tool you mention could make all the difference!