has anyone tried Debian or Xebian

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/has anyone tried Debian or Xebian

cloned(Posted 2006) [#1]
i was thinking of getting a Xbox to hack it and install Xebian on it so i cna have a cheap server and was wondering if i could get BMax running on it?

Craig Watson(Posted 2006) [#2]
Does the XBox Linux video driver support OpenGL?

Blitz should work fine otherwise on Debian.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2007) [#3]
Xebian IS Debian... So yes, blitzmax should run fine.

If you are missing some packets, just configure dpkg to download them off a debian ftp (latest stable release).

Xbox Linux runs on mesa3d, so unless you want to create heavy 3d stuff, you should be fine.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#4]
So, I'm guessing that Ubuntu will run on an original Xbox without too much difficulty too, since that's Debian based...

Sub_Zero(Posted 2007) [#5]
maybe... Have a look in the root folder of the ubuntu cd/dvd, if there's a "default.xbe" file present then it might be possible to boot with a cromwell bios or dashboard xbe loader. (For those that doesn't know, this is for boxes with a modchip installed, or boxes that has cromwell bios TSOP flashed.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2007) [#6]
The main difference between Xebian and Debian is that most packets for Xebian has been recompiled for the kernel that has some Xbox security workaround.
But I've tested installing debian packages in Xebian, and it works. I got KDE up and running & all, very good.

If Ubuntu Installs, my guess is that you'd have to patch the kernel to get it to boot. I could be wrong.

Also it's fairly easy to edit the latest Xebian ISO image to your own liking: Just put in the packages you need from one of these stable Debian distros: Debian 3.0 (a.k.a. woody) or Debian 3.1 (a.k.a. sarge).
I think it was sarge packages I used.

Or, you can always install Xebian to the harddrive of the xbox, then configure dpkg to download the packages from a debian ftp.
If you're on dhcp, just enter "dhclient" as root to get an ip address.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#7]
is the xbox ix86 based?.. i guess it must be being ms :/

Does the XBox Linux video driver support OpenGL?
I thought opengl was a swearword to M$ :P
then again so is linux :)

Craig Watson(Posted 2007) [#8]
The original XBox has a PIII level Celeron running at about 733MHz.

NVidia made the graphics chip in the XBox, so it's irrelevant how MS feels about it. Even considering that, the video driver most likely is unaccelerated because only NVidia knows the specs for it, and I doubt their binary drivers support it.