Blitzmax support/work arounds for other distros?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Blitzmax support/work arounds for other distros?

Uber-nerd(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'll be moving to linux soon, and I noticed that skidracer has said "blitz research recommends ubuntu". Are there work arounds for other distros? Because ubuntu is crap; I need specific drivers for stuff, my modem only gets linux drivers for the commercial versions of it. A hardware modem would cost over $100 (nz) and I am getting broadband soon (which is easier to setup) but who knows, it could be way longer than expected. Seeing we've already been delayed.

Surely people have found ways to install blitzmax on commercial versions of linux? Could someone please give me a clearer idea of compatibility?

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#2]
You mean $30 for a non software modem don't you?

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/455d0f2508c96dfa2740c0a87f9906eb/Product/View/XH1154

not that the availablility of that particular item is very good...

Uber-nerd(Posted 2006) [#3]
Errr... whatever you call them... just an external one that does its own stuff and plugs into the serial port... But theres way more inconveniences with ubuntu compared to a commercial version. I might just end up using ubuntu anyway :S

But have there been workarounds/hacks to make blitzmax work on commercial versions? I would just guess theres been no successful results right?

cloned(Posted 2006) [#4]
wouldn't you have to pay for a commerical version? hencethe commerical part. just go with a free one, like ubuntu, red hat or fedora core

i love ubuntu but my favorite is Xunbuntu. so far i have never had any problems with putting BMax on it after i installed the needed files. my wireless card worked out of the box.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#5]
Max works on SuSe - although I have to admit to only doing GTK-based GUI stuff on it mostly since the box (xeon 3.2ghz x 4, 3.45gig ram) is a server.
Once all the required libraries installed, it works much like any other distro.
The key of course, is getting the required libraries ;-)

Uber-nerd(Posted 2006) [#6]
Max works on SuSe - although I have to admit to only doing GTK-based GUI stuff on it mostly since the box (xeon 3.2ghz x 4, 3.45gig ram) is a server.
Once all the required libraries installed, it works much like any other distro.
The key of course, is getting the required libraries ;-)

Ok whatever that means... anyway the idea of linux sounds a little on the crap side in terms of what software I can use. Could I possibly find a lovely exclusive sprite editor (and other development stuff) for linux or would I just have to use dual boot?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#7]
Best stick with Windows then, me thinks, if you want it so easy (which it appears you do).

On the other hand, there are lots of good tools available on Linux. Google can probably help you there....

Craig Watson(Posted 2006) [#8]
Not sure why BlitzMax wouldn't work on just about any distro, presuming you can satisfy the dependencies. A while ago a few of us in the community provided instructions on how to install on various distros. The main thing is to at least install the development packages (GCC) after which you can usually figure out what you need through your package manager.

Ubuntu is by far one of the most popular desktop distros at this time, and the default install is simple and quite useful, it fits on a single CD, etc, which are good reasons to recommend it.

You can always download it, try it out (it runs without installing so you can always see if it'll handle your hardware) and decide whether to install it or not. Obviously if you're worried about a modem, downloading might not be an option, in which case they still send out CDs for free.

You can also install Winmodems under Ubuntu, you don't need a "commercial" distro for that.

This might be useful. They even have an Ubuntu binary you can download. It's a commercial product though.

I would generally not recommend trying to use Linux with a modem anyway, since to get the most out of it, you're going to want to download lots of stuff, which means broadband.

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#9]
You'd be better of spending the money you'd pay for a 'commercial' distro on a proper modem. You'll always have 'fun' trying to get a Winmodem to work on any distro.

Uber-nerd(Posted 2006) [#10]
You'll always have 'fun' trying to get a Winmodem to work on any distro.

You're crazy, I just about killed myself trying to get my win modem working. Since my birthday AND xmas are both in December I should be pretty well off, meaning I'll probably get that modem for when I don't have broadband access. And on second thoughts I might dump the idea of commercial linux. Bye-bye $45 modem with no support for ubuntu :( No way am I staying with windows. I think I've got everything sorted out now, its been fun :D

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#11]
Exactly, sorry the fun was sarcastic comment.