Installing max on linux? How?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Installing max on linux? How?

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've just installed fedora on my new laptop, all works, download blitzmax linux, but it wasn't an rpm or an instaallable app, and when i double click or right click and open max ide nothing happens, doesn't load even for a second.
Anyone run into this problem before?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
you have to change the rights accordingly to execute it as regular user. BM needs to be able to create some files on start.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#3]
Even if I'm on the root admin account?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
On the root it shouldn't be a problem. But you shouldn't run on root on Linux.

You will need some Development packages as well by the way. X11-dev and mesa gl dev when I'm not wrong.
But this kind of stuff should already be posted on the linux board when I'm not wrong.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#5]
yeah never noticed the linux board, oh well it's here now.

So, any ideas why it wont run on root then? It's fedora 5 dvd version, and it all works, plus i checked dev tools when installing it.
And even if it was missing compilers, wouldn't they mean compiling would fail, not the app it's self? Wouldn't there be an error?
Any ideas?

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#6]
1) Extract it in your home directory.
2) If it doesn't when you you doubleclick the icon, try running it from a console instead. The console will tell you why it doesn't run (ie. it will print an error message of sorts).
3) Post that here.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#7]
tried my home directory/root etc all the same.

By console do you mean terminal? Thats the only console thing i've found.

I tried, i managed to cd into the right dir, but just typing maxide like you would on a pc resulted in a 'file not found error' even with matching case. so then i tried exec MaxIDE and same thing.
Does that suggest the file is being shielded from the system somehow(New to linux so no idea if thats even possible)

Oh well ubuntu has just finished downloading, gonna install that now and see if i have more luck.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#8]
You need to use ./ as in

./MaxIDE

or whatever it's correct case sensitive name is.

Whats with the sig - I trust you're not trolling intentionally.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#9]
no, just haven't used the account in ages, i removed it.

I wiped fedora so on ubunto now...here goes nothing.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#10]
sweet, it ran first time on ubunto. now to write my first ever linux program. this is one small step for man, one small step for anyone.