How do I set BMax up on Mepis Linux with KDE?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/How do I set BMax up on Mepis Linux with KDE?

ninjarat(Posted 2006) [#1]
I can't seem to get BlitzMax to work on my Mepis Linux system. When I downloaded, I saw that the whole thing was already set up with all the directories in place (after I decompressed.) One problem: when I try to compile and run, I get this message --

Building spintext
Linking:spintext.debug
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Process complete

Weird thing is, I HAVE openGL support. Also there aren't any libraries in lib directory. That's probably the root of the problem, and obviously I don't know what I should do. Can some expert tell me what I should do?

Winni(Posted 2006) [#2]
Just a shot from the hip: Create symbolic links to the GL libraries in /usr/lib.

The other option is to provide the linker with the specific location of the libriaries using the uppercase "-L" parameter. At least on OS X something like this works:

Import "-L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lmysqlclient -lz -lsystemstubs"

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#3]
Having OpenGL support does not = opengl development files, you will probably need to install some if not all of the following packages:

libgl-dev
libglu-dev
libxxf86vm-dev
libx11-dev

ninjarat(Posted 2006) [#4]
skidracer - Ok, how do I get those packages?
winni - I'm a n00b to Linux. How would I create those links?

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#5]
I would either reinstall with Ubuntu (mepis doesn't sound very developer oriented) or follow this mepis package guide and look for x developer libraries or some such:

http://www.mepis.org/node/1324

ninjarat(Posted 2006) [#6]
On the contrary, Mepis is VERY developer oreanted, it just isn't GAME development oreanted. But that can be fixed. The great thing about Linux is it's modularity.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#7]
Hmm, atually it is possibly more game oriented than Ubuntu as it apparently ships with binary nvidia drivers. Hopefully all you need to do is go to the console and type:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-dev

if you have an nvidia based box that is...

Winni(Posted 2006) [#8]
sudo ln -s /originalfilepath/originalfile /symboliclinkepath/symboliclink

That works in Ubuntu and OS X. I donīt know if Mepis also uses sudo. If not, try su to switch to a root console and then use ln without the leading sudo.

But skidracerīs probably right and the required development files for some reason are simply not yet installed.

ninjarat(Posted 2006) [#9]
Thanks guys. I'll see if that stuff works. Something's got to... If it doesn't, well I'll, um, I dunno. But BlitzMAX is too good for me to give up on it right now.

By the by, where do you recommend getting the libs? I'm getting them in Debian Virtual Packages. The success rate has been very spotty so far.

Thanks again.
- Bill

ninjarat(Posted 2006) [#10]
Actually, I couldn't find ANY packs that had the appropriate libs. Damn it all, I want this to work SO BAD.

Any other suggestions? Please? :`( Or maybe links to the libs if you find 'em? If you have 'em could you post 'em?

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#11]
I'll say it again, install ubuntu.

I especially don't think it is wise to install packages randomly that are not distributed as part of the specific linux distro you are running.

This list would be kind of helpful

http://www.mepis.org/node/10128

except the names are all cut off...

They do list xlibmesa-gl-dev that will probably do the trick, but again if it is not available in the bundled user friendly package manager that is accessible from a desktop menu then I'd consider leaving mepis behind, ubuntu is probably 1000 times more popular than the 100's of me too distros such as mepis and by all likelihood is going to give you 1000 times more joy.

Winni(Posted 2006) [#12]
Skid's right again: Safe you all the trouble and install Ubuntu. BlitzMax runs nicely on it, and Ubuntu is very, very cool distribution -- including PowerPC Macs. ;-)

ninjarat(Posted 2006) [#13]
But I'm a TRUE nerd. To ME the JOY is STRUGGLING with my computer :-D. And when you succeed with what you already have, you get more satisfaction.

Also, thank you for the list.

ninjarat(Posted 2006) [#14]
HEY! I DID IT! I GOT IT WORKING!

I rebuilt the dependency tables from scratch. See, they all worked for the normal support libs, but not the dev support libs. Strange. Anyway, I redid the whole thing with totally new development library packs. And it WORKED! YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA! Or should I say:

PRINT "Y";
FOR j = 1 to 10
PRINT "E";
NEXT j
PRINT "H";
FOR j = 1 to 10
PRINT "A";
NEXT j
PRINT "!"

;D

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#15]
congrats..

Maybe you should write a little tutorial on exactly how you did it, so that other Mepis users with KDE, can get it running too..

ninjarat(Posted 2006) [#16]
Good idea, LarsG. But I'm really basking in how easy OpenGL coding is right now. This is too much. Goodbye, hassle of GL Includes!

Seriously though, I'll do it. :) I think I'll put a new topic, so as not to cause confusion.