Apple has Boot Camp, what does Linux have?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Apple has Boot Camp, what does Linux have?

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm looking to emulate Windows through Ubuntu, and streamline my computing experience all into one interface. Now, looking at Boot Camp at my last visit to the Apple Store to see the iMac, which, to me, looked like something that could be done in Linux, too. Now, having said that, I know that WINE only does Windows software, not the full-functioning Windows XP OS. However, what type of application would open Windows from within Linux, anyone have any ideas?

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2006) [#2]
try VmWare,Bochs etc. and emulate Windows.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#3]
Sounds great. However, looking at VMWare, they want as much for that Workstation that Microsoft wanted for the actual operating system. Doesn't sound worth paying that same amount a second time, IMHO. I heard that QEMU was cool, but how good is QEMU vs. VMWare vs. Bochs, anyway?

dawlane(Posted 2006) [#4]
Depending on what hardware your using you could create different hard drive partitions and install each OS to them, plus create a partition that all OS's can read (fat32) to save your projects to.

The only problems you will have is :-

1 - If you dont own a Intel x86 based computer (then only a Virtual Machine Emulator will work)
2 - Getting Hardware drivers
3 - Having to boot/reboot to a different OS each time

The plus side is :-

1 - It's cheaper (unless you have to buy a Intel based machine)
2 - It doesn't slow down your machine

That's what I will be trying when i get a Mac Pro in a few months.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#5]
Thanks. I do happen to have a dual-boot setup between SuSE 10.0 and Win XP Pro on my notebook, and a dual-boot of Ubuntu 5.10 and Win XP MCE 2005 on my desktop. Both run Intel chips (notebook being Centrino/Pentium-M 750, and desktop being P4 540 3.2 GHz w/ HT). Anyway, I do plan to upgrade to an iMac 20" (not really looking at going to the big 24" atm), when Leopard is released, and I may have to choose between going with the latest Ubuntu release, or maybe SuSE 11 (if that comes out next year sometime, more realistically it may be SuSE 10.5). Having Mac OS X Leopard, Vista, and some distro of Linux will probably do me quite well, IMHO.

Winni(Posted 2006) [#6]
BootCamp is a boot loader that natively boots Windows on a Mac. You probably saw Parallels, which is something like Q or VMWare.

From what I hear from actual users, VMWare seems to be the best tool in the Windows/Linux world, so you probably should give it a shot.

However, you should keep in mind that BlitzMax is NOT supported in virtualized environments and several things will NOT work. (Been there myself, received that answer.)

QuietBloke(Posted 2006) [#7]
"Sounds great. However, looking at VMWare, they want as much for that Workstation that Microsoft wanted for the actual operating system"

huh ?

VMWare Server is free.. I have it on my SUSE box and it happily runs XP.

Winni(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yeah, VMWare might not be the cheapest virtualizer, but it's worth it. It's fast and rock solid. A colleague of mine even runs a Windows Terminal Server in VMWare workstation. :)

Anyway, you can still try Open Source Qemu. I don't know about the Linux version, but the OS X port "Q" works very well.

Nevertheless, I bought myself a Parallels licence for OS X - it's more comfortable and has some cool features that Q does not have. They have a Linux version, too, for around 50 USD. Maybe you should download a trial and see whether it works for you. Again: I do not know about the Linux version, but on the Mac this one also works great. ;-)

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#9]
Sweet, should be better than using GRUB all the time, getting tired of restarting the PC, waiting for the boot process, and going back and forth half the time, just to run one OS instead of the other. However, I have yet to see what the Vista/Linux switch off process would be like.

QuietBloke(Posted 2006) [#10]
why does everyone keep saying VMWare is too expensive ?

You pay for a 'big boys' version... VMWare server is FREE.

Or did they just give me a free version and everyone else has to pay ?

Winni(Posted 2006) [#11]
I am afraid you are not that privileged and they really do give away the VMWare Server version for free. ;-)

But I honestly do not know what the difference to the Workstation version is, I only know that it used to be relatively expensive. I will only get interested in VMWare again when they finally release a Mac OS X version of it. Which might be even too late anyway - I am quite happy with Parallels and don't need more than that.

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#12]
The workstation version allows you to do snapshops of a VMWare image so you can roll back to previous images should you wish. It's got a different interface to VMWare server.

Essentially the technlogy is the same (Excellent!) although last time I tried , BMax didn't work too well under it as VMWare only emulates a fairly basic graphics adapter.

QuietBloke(Posted 2006) [#13]
ermmm... Im gonna have to check tonight ( if I get time ) but Im sure VMWare server has a snapshot button too. Though I guess if it didnt all you would need to do is take a backup copy of the virtual machine before you start messing around with it.
But yeah. the graphics emulation isnt too hot.

As a side note.. http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/

has anyone heard of / tried this ?

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#14]
So the graphics emulation isn't even good if you have the 3D acceleration configured? I mean, Ubuntu makes things easy to configure, especially something like an ATI Mobility X300 128 MB like my Dell, I was able to tweak it to work as well as it does. Hmm, that's gonna be something to consider, won't it?

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#15]
VMware is a self contained environment that completely masks the underlying hardware.

Regardless of what physical hardware you run it on, it always emulates a VMWare specified graphics card, VMWare BIOs, network adapter etc to the virtual environment.

For example VMWare 5.5 presents the following:
Graphics: VMWare SVGA II (16Mb) (I think it's S3 emulation)
Network: AMD Network Adapter

The reason is that you can take an image from any installation of VMWare and put it onto another VMWare installation without worring about any compatibility issues. It makes server Disaster Recovery *much easier*

Quietbloke: Yes you could just copy the image.

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#16]
This was a double post

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#17]
Uhh, Wellmt, that was a double post there, be careful about stuff like that.

Back on topic, this looks all well and great, but I do believe that Blitz 3D may have a bit of trouble being emulated, even tho Linux and Windows have 3D Acceleration configured, trying to get that great terrain mesh running may be a bit on the iffy side through VMWare.