ubuntu xgl + blizmax = error xlib

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/ubuntu xgl + blizmax = error xlib

erwan(Posted 2006) [#1]
hello

sorry for my english , i'm french ;)
ubuntu 6.06 + blitzmax = nice , no probleme
ubuntu 606 + xgl + blitzmax = Xlib: extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display ":0.0".
:( :(
please help

a+ jbam

AlexO(Posted 2006) [#2]
I had this issue also. if you're using ATI I do not think there is a 'fix' for it. XGL simply does not support Direct Rendering (which disables full-screen hardware acceleration if I understand correctly). You can run all your applications in Windowed mode and it will run just fine though if you wish to keep using XGL.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hopefully we'll have this issue sorted ealy next week, it is obviously unrealistic to expect apps on a lot of Linux distros to have the ability to force a fullscreen resolution mode change. I don't think BlitzMax faking it for these systems is going to be a big mission.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2006) [#4]
I have xgl with ubuntu 6.06. It seems to work fine on NVidia cards. Havn't had any problems with any video mode.

erwan(Posted 2006) [#5]
i have nvidia geforce 6 :( and i have probleme only with xgl .
i use xinerame for my bi-screen
thanks for your reply , i'm searching

a+ jbam

erwan(Posted 2006) [#6]
Jim T : have you a bi-sreen ?
i will test with bi-screen off

a+ jbam

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2006) [#7]
nope. single screen here.

Also, im not sure if with 'Xgl' you mean just Xgl, or also the seemingly popular 'Compiz' app as well?

If that's the case, then I can only advise you to get rid of the Compiz part asap. I had it installed for a while, but it messed up my system pretty good. 3D apps and video/dvd playback didn't work, as well as access to my Nvidia Control panel was gone. The only way I was able to fix it all was by completely reinstalling ubuntu. I tried manually removing all parts of Compiz, but appearantly that was impossible.

Anyhoo, if you have the Xgl/Compiz combination running, it's not Xgl that is the problem really. Try disabling Compiz and see if the problems still persist. One way to do it is pretty ugly but effective: open a terminal and do:

:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

This shuts down the Gnome Display Manager.
Note that this Kills X completely! It drops you into the basic linux command prompt, so you wont be able to read this anymore. Log in as your normal user (not root) and then manually start X again (not GDM!) by typing:

:~$ startx

This loads X and allows you to use ubuntu again in a normal way without having GDM mess it up by loading compiz. Compiz is now disabled. Note that this has to be repeated everytime you reboot the computer. Not a nice patch, but it helps until you find a permanent solution. Provided this is actually your problem ofcourse :p

erwan(Posted 2006) [#8]
thanks jim t .
it's a good provisional solution :)

a+ jbam