No QuickTime for Linux, what's an alternative?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/No QuickTime for Linux, what's an alternative?

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#1]
It seems like there are some websites that I visit that seem to require QuickTime plugins for streaming media files in order to play them. However, looking at Apple's website, it seems like Linux is not one of Apple's supported platforms for QT. However, what are some recommendations for other programs that will comply with this plugin issue with Linux for streaming QT-type files over the Internet?

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think Flash 7 is possibly the only option as it includes a licensed embedded Sorenson codec, dunno about streaming.

Robert(Posted 2006) [#3]
RealPlayer 10 is a possibility.

A search for "RealPlayer Linux" should help.

I use a combination of the Totem player and a slew of extra plugins which provide support for various media formats.

If you want more information about all the hoops you will have to jump through to play various media formats on Linux desktops, and why, search for "linux restricted formats".

The gist of it is that most of the popular media formats (MP3, Windows Media, QuickTime, AAC, MPEG2 as used in DVDs) are covered by various patents, and in order to use these formats, companies have to pay license fees to the patent owners and agree to any licensing terms and conditions. This is completely unacceptable for most Linux distributions.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#4]
There is QuickTime Alternative, which is a QT codec for other video players.
Not sure if it works in Linux stuff, but it may.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yeah, I believe that the SuSE people, maybe Novell now, but they do include RealPlayer 10 with their bundle, if I'm not mistaken. However, I don't think that RP 10 is QT ready right out of the box, tho, which troubles me. Wonder if there are any clip-on mods to make it run and stream.

Alden(Posted 2006) [#6]
You can try mplayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu).
They also provide you with all the essential codecs (qt included).
There's a plug-in for firefox, or konqueror, you'd probably want that too.
Take a look in related projects link on main site for packages/help for your distro.

Erroneouss(Posted 2006) [#7]
Another mplayer recomendation. It's a fantastic program :)

EDIT: Oops, just realized this was an old topic :X