gtk and F10

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/gtk and F10

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#1]
F10 appears to be the standard keybinding for accessing the application menubar.

Alas, we use F10 for stepping thru code.

I can override this, and therefore disable the "standard" behaviour, but this is against the HIG...
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/input-keyboard.html

Perhaps change F10 to Ctl-F10 for the menubar, and leave Max as is?

ho hum...

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#2]
this is a real pain!

Realy you should honor Gnomes "standard" behaviour that users are used to.

Is there any way to do only use f10 if the app is in debug mode for debugging, but in release mode let it do the gnome thing?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#3]
I think the easiest thing would be to apply the "hack" to the gtk maxIDE, having a line that changes the default menu key from F10 to <control>F10 ...

I see Firefox uses F10 for the same purpose...

Cross platform happiness :-)

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#4]
What I did in the end, was to intercept the call to SetHotKey - which is called for menu items that have them - and if F10 was required, I change the default menu access key to <alt>F10.

Can't imagine that would clash with anything very much.

It at least means you can use F10 to step-into while debugging in the gtk IDE...

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#5]
Nice, good to see your still hard at it with you fantastic gtk module

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#6]
Brilliant work Brucey - well done on such a fantastic module. Looking eagerly forward to the next release ;-). Oh, btw, how come you don't have it listed on your website?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks guys.
I still think there may be issues with some of my key-mappings but I've haven't had time to sit down and write a full test for it yet...

Oh, btw, how come you don't have it listed on your website?

Cuz it's not ready for a "proper" release yet. That is, it ain't nearly finished - what with the stepper not working, and panel pixmaps not implemented yet.
Once all the main features are done... ;-)

Anyhoo... I added FOCUSLOST events for textfield and textarea last night (in theory I can handle that for *any* focusable gadget but only enabled for those atm), since it's now officially supported :-)
...and threw in the two new TEXTFORMAT styles (UNDERLINE and STRIKETHROUGH) while I was there.

Am currently working on the 1.00 release now (ran out of 0.9x!) so I hope to have at least the stepper up and running by then.

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#8]
Am currently working on the 1.00 release now (ran out of 0.9x!) so I hope to have at least the stepper up and running by then.

Can't wait!!!