? = Suse + PCI modem

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/? = Suse + PCI modem

Pineapple(Posted 2006) [#1]
When I was out earlier today, I saw a copy of SuSe 9.1 Personal for a few bob, and thought "I might as well have a try!"

Anyway, install was pretty easy, but the one thing I cannot get to work, is my bloody modem, and it won't even detect it!

I've tried everything, from downloading and installing a driver from http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-suse-x86 to trying loads of settings in YaST... Basically, I havent got a clue what I'm doing, and I'm stuck. And its got to the point where I'm tired of logging into Windows, Googling, then logging back into SuSe, then finding it doesnt work, then logging back into Windows, Googling, then... etc etc.

I have all my ISP's settings (phone number, usename, password etc), it's sitting on port COM3 in Windows.

I really want to get on with Linux, and eventually chuck Windows in the bin, but at this rate... Linux seems to be a chow-on that I really havent got time for!

I'm currently waiting for a broadband connection, so I really cannot download any recommended distros (like Ubuntu and such or Suse 10)

Anyway, if anyone can help, my modem is a Generic 56k Conexant modem, The kernel version is 2.6.4 - 52 - default. I've downloaded and ran the driver located above, and I don't know if its done anything!

Thanks in advance

- Dabz

Sub_Zero(Posted 2006) [#2]
Generally linux does not support many pci modems.
Also, if I'm not mistaken they had to remove alot of legacy kernel modules with the leap from kernel 2.4 to 2.6, because of something (I don't quite remember) not being compatible.

But... You could try ndiswrapper, wich makes it possible to use windows drivers in linux for networking devices (don't know if it works for modem drivers, but it does for LAN and WLAN).

Pineapple(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'll give it a crack Sub... Thanks! :)

Dabz